The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has
been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to
promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s
largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF
supports child health and
nutrition, good water and sanitation,
quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of
children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded
entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses,
foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about
making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading
children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Accounting & Finance Manager
Job Number: 498111
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations, and as the manager and functional expert of
financial management services in a large country office, the
incumbent is accountable for provision of managerial leadership and
policy guidance for achievement of effective financial service
management. Ensures management of finance staff for cost effective,
quality and efficient financial operations in support of office country
programme. Ensures that the office’s financial operations and services
are in compliance with the organization’s financial policy, procedures,
rules and regulations
Key Expected Results
1. Policy, procedures and strategies
- As technical manager, guide the correct and consistent application
of policies and procedures in the management of financial functions
through the provision of technical leadership, guidance and support to
the country office and sub-offices where applicable.
- Provides technical input to the establishment of financial guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Operations.
- Advises the Chief of Operations on financial policies, procedures,
rules and regulations, providing financial support. Recommends on the
appropriate application and interpretation of financial rules,
regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ensures arriving and departing staff are briefed on financial procedures and requirements.
- Makes substantive recommendations on the improvement of financial
systems and internal controls, taking into account the prevailing
conditions in the locality.
- Keeps the supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, and
identifies and recommends solutions. Prepares reports on financial
- Undertakes missions to field locations to review financial arrangements and makes appropriate recommendations as required.
2. The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered, monitored and controlled
- Assists in the management of the budget in close coordination with
the Chief of Operations to ensure that objectives stipulated early in
the fiscal year are realized for smooth operations of the Country
Office/sub-offices, where applicable.
- Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of financial services.
3. Partnership, coordination and collaboration
- Develops and maintains effective working relations with other
agencies, local authorities and implementing partners relating to
matters for enhancement of information exchange, collaboration, and
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services, E-banking)
4. Accounting, financial and budgetary transactions and control.
- Ensures the control and operation of bank accounts are in accordance
with UN/UNICEF financial rules and regulations and local banking
practices. Ensures up to date information on the cash position or status
of such accounts.
- Manage bank reconciliation activities and keeps abreast of all
procedures and regulations regarding the maintenance of bank accounts.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing and recording of
disbursements and payments e.g. travel claims advances to government
etc, in accordance with established rules, regulations, systems and
within budgetary limits.
- Also, ensure recovery of advances and accounts receivable.
- Monitor financial transactions and accounting reports, and
reconciliations of accounts to ensure accurate and up-to-date financial
- Prepare required reports and statements for Chief of Operations and HQ.
- Manage Vision finance module, provide training and orientation to
staff on its use and coordinate with IT staff on technical adjustments
- Undertake visits to field offices to provide accounting and finance
training to counterparts and support, establish and/or review systems
and procedures for compliance with rules and regulations, and prepare
report and recommendations.
- Develop local guidelines for implementation of Harmonised Approach
to Cash Transfers (HACT) in accordance with applicable financial rules
- Co-ordinate and lead the implementation of HACT under the supervision of the Chief of Operations;
- Participate in country programme strategy, development, planning and
preview/review meetings to identify financial and requirements.
- Advise and recommend to the Chief of Operations when deviation from
financial rules and regulations may be required and propose alternative
- Supervise the Finance unit staff and ensures that UNICEF’s Financial
and existing Rules & Regulations, Policies and procedures and day
to day guidelines are complied with.
- Ensures that all tasks necessary to satisfy the reporting obligations of the unit are carried out.
5. Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required.
- Provides quality services to beneficiaries in a timely and cost
effective manner by performing additional duties and responsibilities
assigned in conformance with the policy, standards, rules and
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational
set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or
contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of
major duties and key end-results.
1. Effective operations of financial management
Manages and ensures the effective, equitable and efficient operations
of the office’s financial resources to support and facilitate the
attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing
financial operational requirements. Ensures effective and efficient
financial operations that promote gender sensitivity and gender parity.
Advises management on financial issues.
2. Policy interpretation and application
Acountable for the correct and consistent application of
organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance
functions through the provision of technical leadership and support in
the area of accounting and finance to the country office.
Contributes to global and regional strategic planning and policy
changes/formulation on operational matters as necessary relating to
finance; Provides technical input to contribute to the establishment of
financial guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Operations.
Implements the effective communication, training, roll-out,
monitoring and evaluation of new initiatives, guidelines and procedures
as it relates to finance, HACT, IPSAS and Vision.
3. Fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets
- Safeguards the financial resources entrusted to the office by
advising on and/or managing financial assets, financial planning and
cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the
financial and administrative management systems and procedures.
Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds taking
decision on all financial transactions and disbursement of funds
- Ensures efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of
resources through knowledge and technology transfer between offices and
consistency of approaches.
4. Leadership in strategic planning and policy formulation in the area of financial operations
- Plays a role in strategic financial planning and decision-making
within the UNICEF Operations and provides sound professional input and
oversight to the development, reform and change of financial
guide-lines, systems and procedures including but not limited to the
management of financial resources using remote programming approach;
collaborate with implementing partners on the review and strengthening
of their financial systems under the Harmonised Approach to Cash
- Participates in effective management process by providing technical
advices and supports on financial matters to corporate committees as
Development of the financial component of the CPMP. CPMP is timely
completed; contributes to the preparation of budget and documentation.
Participates in the country programme strategy, development, planning
and preview/reviews meetings to identify finance related requirements.
6. Compliance and Internal Control
- Monitors budget process. Ensures all other financial operational
reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitors compliance
with all operational systems and procedures and ensures integrity in
all financial and other related administrative operations of the office.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Operations, assists in the
implementation of agreed audit recommendations as it relates to finance;
advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant
internal controls. Develop training activities to ensure effective
financial performance and efficiency.
7. Staff Learning and Development
Develops training to ensure effective financial operational
performance and efficiency. Develops and implements effective staff
learning and development programme activities for both programme and
operations staff on finance related matters for capacity building. Plans
and conducts workshops for staff’s competency building, staff
development in the areas of finance. Provides coaching and counselling
to the staff on performance enhancement/development.
8. Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration
- Collaborates to ensures adherence to financial regulations and rules pertaining to Direct Cash Transfers to Government (DCTs).
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the
UN reform initiatives (including HACT capacity building of IPs, finance
- Advises Chief of Operations on finance matters and provides guidance
on all financial submissions of the office; briefs office staff on
financial policies and procedures providing authoritative advice;
provides technical guidance to staff in the country and field offices on
- Coordinates/liaises with the Chief of Operation, Regional Office or
DFAM(as required) for policy formulation in the area of finance; advises
on the applicability of new financial policy directives. Makes
substantive recommendations on the improvement of financial systems and
internal controls, planning and restructuring and resolution of
sensitive issues and problems, taking into account the prevailing
conditions in the locality.
- Collaborates with senior Programme Officers and country office staff
providing creative problem solving in support of programming activities
relating to finance while maintaining sound internal operational
- Represents the office in meetings with local banks and manages the office’s bank accounts and petty cash accounts;
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in accounting, financial management or economics.
2. Work Experience
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience in accounting or financial management;
- Both national and International work experience in management, finance, accounting or related fields;
- Fluency in English
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [II]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [II]
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [II
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Analyzing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Planning and Organizing [III]
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be
available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply
Application Deadline 10 Aug 2016 W. Central Africa Standard Time