Cuso International is currently implementing a five year project titled,
Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development Project
(YouLead) funded by Government of Canada through the Department of
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development that will support the creation of
youth-led enterprises and employment for young women and men in the
natural resource sector in Cross River State, Nigeria. Cuso
International and implementing partners will develop a youth-driven
approach to support sustainable economic activities in key sectors
(forestry, agriculture, aquaculture and eco-tourism) identified by the
CRS government and other key stakeholders. The project will also
strengthen capacity of government at State and LGA levels, youth serving
civil society organizations, training organizations, and financial
institutions to develop and implement a gender-responsive NRM ‘green
jobs/green economy’ policy framework as the basis of increasing
employment, self-employment and secured livelihoods for young women and
men in the natural resource sectors.
Cuso International is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager
Location: Calabar, Nigeria
Reports to: Project Team Leader
Contract type: Fixed term 2 year contract with possible extension
Language requirements: English
- Reporting to the Project Team Leader, the MEAL Manager ensures
that the project continues to monitor, evaluate and report on strategic
outcomes based on reliable evidence and engages stakeholders in learning
for planning project course corrections and communicating results.
Accounting for Project Outcomes:
- Design and implement appropriate data collection tools and
procedures needed to account for project outcomes, in collaboration with
all relevant staff, volunteers, and partners.
- Support monthly reporting on activities by project component
managers, to ensure effective monitoring and documentation of project
progress as per Annual Work Plans and the project Performance
Measurement Framework (PMF).
- Analyze project data periodically and generate summary reports
on project progress against targets, using indicators defined in the
project PMF and Cuso International’s corporate monitoring and evaluation
- Support internal mid-year and annual reporting requirements, and the needs of external program evaluations.
- Support monitoring and evaluation capacity building initiatives of the project with project partners and stakeholders.
- Supervise and, when necessary, directly manage project data
entry, data cleaning and verification and maintain appropriate data and
document storage protocols.
- Track and facilitate reporting by project component managers on
progress against Cuso International’s gender equality commitments as
described in the project Gender Equality Strategy.
Learning for Planning:
- Design, facilitate and provide internal capacity building
support for strategic learning on project results related to gender
equity, environmental responsibility and youth-based constraints on
business development and employment.
- Support periodic reflection and analysis of lessons learned by
project component managers and their teams, internally and through
focus-group discussions in collaboration with partners and other
- Inform and advise the Project Team Leader on project strategic directions.
- Carry out other duties as required by the YouLead Project Team Leader, from time to time.
- Significant practical, analytical and theoretical knowledge and
experience of international development work in Nigeria including:
- An appreciation of the contribution that the private sector and business development approaches can bring to development
- proven ongoing commitment to staying abreast of current development thinking
- A strong awareness of gender and equity issues and knowledge of
issues affecting young women and men (key target groups for YouLead) in
the context of GESI [Gender Equality and Social Inclusion]
Technical knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation:
- Significant proven experience with:
- Gender equality objectives in partner’s capacity building plans
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of
strengthening local organizations and building local capacities for
- Demonstrated experience in measuring and tracking vulnerable groups in programs and projects
- Good understanding of what determines vulnerability in humanitarian and development context
- Experience disaggregating information and data by sex, age,
social-economic status, marital status, disability, people living is
- Capacity building in M&E development and implementation
- Logical framework approach to defining project outcomes and indicators
- methods for monitoring and evaluation (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory)
- Planning and implementation of M&E systems
- Facilitating learning-orientated focus group discussions with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with integrating and measuring gender equality results including:
- Gender disaggregated and gender sensitive baselines, indicators and targets
- Gender sensitive data collection & analysis
Communication, representation and networking:
- Excellent communication skills – the ability to articulate
project views efficiently and positively in various formats, including
speech, panel, debate and group discussion
- Ability to present and represent Cuso International to a variety
of audiences including government, private sector, donors and civil
- Strong networking skills and the ability to build relationships, alliances and networks in a fast paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate good practices and learning
in working with both young women and men that contributes to breaking
down negative gender and generational stereotypes
- Proven ability to work effectively in a number of teams, in a
multi-cultural context and where teams may be geographically dispersed
- Proven ability to be self-serving in IT (Email, Advanced Excel
and Powerpoint) and willingness to develop IT skills in Cuso
International’s corporate monitoring and evaluation system
- Considerable experience in data entry and data management.
- Proven knowledge of statistical
- Pro-active approach to work planning
- Considerable problem solving and decision-making skills
- Flexibility and willingness to do any and all tasks needed to meet project goals and timelines
- Good time management in relation to priorities
- A University degree in statistics, social science, development studies or a related discipline
- Minimum 5 years working in monitoring and evaluation of funded
projects and programs; preferably in the area of natural resources
management and/or market systems/enterprise development
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and present results of
development outcomes using narrative and quantitative reporting
- Knowledge of capacity building approaches applied to monitoring and evaluation for government and community-based organizations
- Proven ability to network and collaborate with government and community-level stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others;
- Strong planning, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and reporting skills
- Excellent database, data management and data analysis skills,
with experience using at least 2 software applications such as Microsoft
Excel, Access, SPSS, STATA
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative data management and
analysis, preferably in relation to monitoring and evaluation of project
results against indicators.
- Proven technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, including
experience with multi-sectorial and multi-donor funded programs and
experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and
- Proven abilities in developing monitoring plans, data
collection, information management, use of databases, and analysis and
- Proven expertise in the management and analysis of data for basic statistics and graphic presentations using Excel.
- Demonstrated aptitude for facilitation of focus group
discussions and participatory analysis involving community-level
stakeholders and vulnerable populations.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s to: Nigeria.email@example.com with the competition number: MEAL Manager 2016-1 clearly marked as the subject number.
- No late applications will be considered. CV must not be more
than 4 pages in length maximum and covering letter must be 1 page long
- To be considered, your résumé and cover letter should demonstrate that all of the essential qualifications are met.
- Applications that do not meet the above requirements will not be considered
Application Deadline 5th August, 2016.