The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development.
The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Data Communication Specialist
Job Number: 498229
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision of the Chief of C4D, C4D, but with technical
guidance from the EPI Team Leader, the Data Communication Officer will
work closely with the national Social Mobilization Working Group (SMWG),
M&E, Logistics Working Groups, Routine Immunization (RI) Committee,
UNICEF and WHO EPI Teams to strengthen areas related to immunization
& social data utilization and application with the aim to strengthen routine immunization and eradicate C4D in Nigeria.
Key Expected Results
1. Analyze data and generate maps on missed children due to
non-compliance and resistance, as well as to other factors in the high
risk and other states, in particular from:
- In and end process indicators;
- Vaccinators Non-compliance/Redo forms and Tally sheets;
- SM consultants’/zonal reports;
- Social maps from each state/ward;
- Routine EPI data (e.g. OPV coverage); and
- Other reports available
2. Support the presentation and analysis of data sets for the Communication component of the ERC and TAG reviews.
3. Enhance data collection and analysis for sentinel sites in
communities identified in high risk areas where communication activities
can be more closely monitored and then from which data can be gathered
over the course of several IPDs. The data will be analyzed and
correlated with communication interventions to demonstrate trends in
immunization that can be linked to the social activities.
4. Carry out in-depth analysis of presentation and use of data in
State general and social mobilization consultants’ reports and recommend
amendments/changes for improved flow and utilization of social
mobilization data by the State Consultants (Social Mobilization
5. Provide hands-on training on data management and use to State Social Mobilization Committee (SMC) in at least 2 states
6. Budget properly planned, monitored and controlled, ensuring allocated funds optimally appropriated.
Key Accountability and Duties & Tasks
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational
set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or
contributory accountability for all or part of the following areas of
major duties and key end-results.
- Interact with the M&E Working Group, WHO Data Officers, STOP
Teams, SIA Teams and Social Mobilization consultants/personnel posted to
all key endemic States for in-depth collection and analysis of NIDs
- Link social mobilization and EPI data with the presence of WPV.
- Give technical support before and during the up-coming national KAP
study and take advantage of the findings of this study to refine the
social data analysis.
- Participates in and contributes to the budget and programme review
and planning. Establishes programme work plans, allocation of resources,
and monitors progress and compliance.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in the social/behavioural sciences,
(Social Sciences, Development Studies, Anthropology, Psychology, and
Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for
behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication,
and research. Knowledge of GIS software, e.g. Health Mapper, ARC View.
*First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work
experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
2. Work Experience
Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional work
experience in the development, planning and management of social
development programmes, including several years in developing countries,
with practical experience in the adaptation and application of
communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language (IP)
- Local working language of the duty station an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [ III ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
- Entrepreneurial Thinking [ II ]
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be
available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply
Application Deadline: 15th August, 2016