Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for
children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight
for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way
the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change
in their lives.
JOB TITLE: Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Advisor
The overall aim of the position is to support State Ministries of
Health and partner organizations to roll out the new National Integrated
Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (IMNCH) strategy, providing
technical inputs with respect to newborn and child health and technical
leadership on this work for Save the Children in Nigeria.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Newborn and child Health Policy & Programming
- To be responsible for the overall management of Save the Children
technical assistance on Maternal, newborn & child health in Nigeria.
Primary Health Care & Child Health
- To be responsible for the technical inputs for Save the Children
assistance on primary health care development and child health in
Nigeria with the context of the IMNCH and Primary Health Care
Development Agency (PHCDA) Strategies.
- Provide follow up after training of health workers and ensure that
lifesaving commodities and devices are available by government for use
in the facilities
- To review documents and take the lead in planning and report writing for the newborn and child health aspects of MNCH work
- To provide health advisory support to the any child Protection Programme in the state.
- To be responsible for activities that will improve the quality of
care provided to mothers and children by training frontline health
workers on the Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses (IMCI),
Essential Care for every Newborn, and the delivery of routine
- To be responsible for activities that would Improve access to
quality Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) services for
communities, through training of health workers to treat common
childhood diseases, and to educate mothers on disease prevention and
home care practices to ensure the early detection and treatment of
common childhood illnesses within communities
- To develop and maintain an understanding of major stakeholder
agendas and to represent Save the Children and its interests with key
players in the health sector in Nigeria (government, development
agencies and research institutes) at Federal and State levels.
- To represent Save the Children’s values and mission, as well as the
Nigeria programme experience, at strategic national and state fora, and
selected regional fora
Documentation and Reporting
- To prepare and submit quarterly reports
- To pro-actively contribute to national research and advocacy
initiatives and support global efforts by drawing on the Nigeria
experience while also drawing on lessons learned from other countries to
support efforts in country.
- To contribute to Save the Children’s global and national priorities
through cooperation with relevant advisers and managers from
headquarters, the regional and national levels.
- To lead or contribute to the development of publications for peer-reviewed journals.
- Lead the capacity development of health workers in the state on newborn & child health skills
As agreed with the Senior Child Health Advisor , contribute:
- To the development of Save the Children UK’s future health strategy
(to be reviewed annually) and child survival strategy focus areas,
including technical support for specific proposals to secure further
funding and comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures.
- Undertake other strategic duties as agreed by supervisors and senior advisers
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Administrative & General Skills
- Medical qualification (MD or M.B.B.S.) with a post graduate qualification in paediatrics, Public health or related field.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills and the proven
ability to translate these into concise high quality reports and lessons
- Confidence in using word processing and spreadsheet computer packages
- Fluency in written and spoken English and ability to make compelling technical presentations.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission.
- Intimate knowledge of the policy and programme context of
Nigeria. Demonstrated capacity to develop a network of contacts with key
players from amongst government, donors, international agencies and
NGOs, to maintain these relationships over time and to support
mobilization of significant funding from donors.
- Substantial experience in a clinical, managerial and advisory capacity.
- Experience in providing technical support to partners and in particular government at senior levels.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate
and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels. Presentation and
training skills, along with tact and diplomacy are essential.
- Proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and workplans.
- Experience in health systems development and primary health care management.
- Proven capacity in strategic planning and long term positioning
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply