29 Jul 2016
Job for a Program Manager in Abuja at Save the Children
The organization focuses on full spectrum programming - development and humanitarian - with core thematic work in education, child protection, hunger and livelihoods, social protection, child rights governance, health and nutrition.
Activities generally focus on building government capacity in policy development and service delivery, while also working with communities and civil society organizations to build demand and accountability mechanisms, and implementing direct services through specific projects and operational research activities. Working with and through partners such as Action Against Hunger (ACF), Save the Children has also invested heavily in advocacy and campaigns.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full-time
- The primary purpose of this role is to provide operational oversight for two projects in Kaduna State (Strengthening Newborn Care and Health workers capacity building project) in Lagos, Kaduna and Gombe states. This position resides in Kaduna.
- S/he will support the implementation of projects deliverables as it relates to trainings of frontline health workers, delivering of quality Newborn health care and advocacy for the domestication of relevant National policies for newborns and Human Resource for Heath (HRH) at implementing states.
- The incumbent is expected to manage operational aspect of the project as it relates to budget spending and monitoring, logistics and other operational support at the field level for the overall delivery of the project deliverables.
- S/he will work closely with respective field/Area Operations managers and operational staff to ensure the systematic and prompt implementation of program activities in line with SCI standards and procedure of implementation across all the implementing state.
- Oversee the implementation of program and ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that projects are appropriately monitored and evaluated and that reports are written and submitted in a timely manner.
- Support MEAL officers and relevant TAs on project baseline and end line surveys, quarterly program quality assurance, data quality checks and routine monitoring for optimal project delivery
- Lead on the development of programme work plans and related operational activities in line with CO and AO/FO budget phasing and budget tracking processes
- Provides useful contextual insights into concept notes during related proposal development and other expanded responsibilities delegated by his line manager
- Collate and submit monthly, quarterly and annual narrative and financial project reports (at as when due) to health programme manager, TAs.
- In consultation with TAs, programme manager and field manager, S/he leads projects operation in accordance to the proposal documents and budgets earmarked for each activities ensuring the minimal spending variances
- Coordinate donor and organizational reporting per requirements and as requested; and ensure quality of project data and all narrative reports.
- Oversee project expenditure and hold budget management responsibility for the project, including monitoring budget vs. expenditure, ensuring that costs are allocated correctly and expenditure is happening in line with the plan
- With TAs, lead in the development of Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and ensure the implementation, operations delivery of costed annual, quarterly and monthly work plans in line with budgets
- Tracks budget spending for both direct labour and programme costs in consultation with field managers and technical advisors.Work closely with logistics, finance and other units at the field level and ensure activities are delivered in accordance timely with the work plan and budget
- The incumbent with support from Health TAs and managers will implement all project related activities and maintain close contact with operations staff both at the field and country office on the delivery of project and operations Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Support advisors, program officers in the development of activity budgets, planning of activities, deliveries and follow up with finance, and logistics for timing retirement documents. In consultation with HPM, deliver on the projects risk assessment.
- The incumbent supports Maternal Newborn Child Health (MNCH) advisors and LGA senior program officer across the implementing states on their deliverables. He provides operational lead to the MNH Advisor on budgeting, planning and operational implementation in consultation with CO TAs and managers.
- S/he will work closely with Field manager to maintain good relationship and representations with State and Local government key stakeholders on advocacy and actively participate in State/LGAs technical working groups.
- With support from health programme manager (HPM) and Field manager, ensure effective involvement of government counterpart (state decision maker) in project activities in order to foster ownership of the project through a, participatory approach to planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation.
- With support from HPM, TAs and HR, identify project staff
development needs and relevant trainings and follow up with relevant
units and ensure that project staff are given every opportunity to
increase their competencies, capacities and own personal development.
- Academic/professional qualification at post graduate level, MBBS, MPH or equivalent.
- At least 7 years’ experience in project/Programme management.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress; experience in working across multiple partners and government
- Ability to translate programmatic information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print, electronic, and presentation media
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission.
- Substantial operational experience and a track record of success in health programming, Newborn care will be an added advantage. Very good understanding of national health policies and strategies, programmes and stakeholders, partners on MNCH in Nigeria
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget tracking and resource management experience, and stakeholders’ relationship management capability with proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and work plans
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Effective interpersonal skills - oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy skills - MS Office applications, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Spread sheets
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th August, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.