Save the Children is a child rights organization working to inspire
breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve
immediate and lasting change in their lives. Save the Children
established an office in Nigeria, the most populous nation in Africa, in
The organization focuses on full spectrum programming –
development and humanitarian – with core thematic work in education,
child protection, hunger and livelihoods, social protection, child
rights governance, health and nutrition.
Activities generally focus on building government capacity in policy
development and service delivery, while also working with communities
and civil society organizations to build demand and accountability
mechanisms, and implementing direct services through specific projects
and operational research activities. Working with and through partners
such as Action Against Hunger (ACF), Save the Children has also invested
heavily in advocacy and campaigns.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full-time
- The primary purpose of this role is to provide operational
oversight for two projects in Kaduna State (Strengthening Newborn Care
and Health workers capacity building project) in Lagos, Kaduna and Gombe
states. This position resides in Kaduna.
- S/he will support the implementation of projects deliverables as
it relates to trainings of frontline health workers, delivering of
quality Newborn health care and advocacy for the domestication of
relevant National policies for newborns and Human Resource for Heath
(HRH) at implementing states.
- The incumbent is expected to manage operational aspect of the
project as it relates to budget spending and monitoring, logistics and
other operational support at the field level for the overall delivery of
the project deliverables.
- S/he will work closely with respective field/Area Operations
managers and operational staff to ensure the systematic and prompt
implementation of program activities in line with SCI standards and
procedure of implementation across all the implementing state.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Oversee the implementation of program and ensure that stated
goals and objectives are met, that projects are appropriately monitored
and evaluated and that reports are written and submitted in a timely
- Support MEAL officers and relevant TAs on project baseline and
end line surveys, quarterly program quality assurance, data quality
checks and routine monitoring for optimal project delivery
- Lead on the development of programme work plans and related
operational activities in line with CO and AO/FO budget phasing and
budget tracking processes
- Provides useful contextual insights into concept notes during
related proposal development and other expanded responsibilities
delegated by his line manager
- Collate and submit monthly, quarterly and annual narrative and
financial project reports (at as when due) to health programme manager,
- In consultation with TAs, programme manager and field manager,
S/he leads projects operation in accordance to the proposal documents
and budgets earmarked for each activities ensuring the minimal spending
- Coordinate donor and organizational reporting per requirements
and as requested; and ensure quality of project data and all narrative
Planning and Budgeting:
- Oversee project expenditure and hold budget management
responsibility for the project, including monitoring budget vs.
expenditure, ensuring that costs are allocated correctly and expenditure
is happening in line with the plan
- With TAs, lead in the development of Detailed Implementation
Plan (DIP) and ensure the implementation, operations delivery of costed
annual, quarterly and monthly work plans in line with budgets
- Tracks budget spending for both direct labour and programme
costs in consultation with field managers and technical advisors.Work
closely with logistics, finance and other units at the field level and
ensure activities are delivered in accordance timely with the work plan
- The incumbent with support from Health TAs and managers will
implement all project related activities and maintain close contact
with operations staff both at the field and country office on the
delivery of project and operations Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Support advisors, program officers in the development of
activity budgets, planning of activities, deliveries and follow up with
finance, and logistics for timing retirement documents. In consultation
with HPM, deliver on the projects risk assessment.
Operations, external representation and staff management and development:
- The incumbent supports Maternal Newborn Child Health (MNCH)
advisors and LGA senior program officer across the implementing states
on their deliverables. He provides operational lead to the MNH Advisor
on budgeting, planning and operational implementation in consultation
with CO TAs and managers.
- S/he will work closely with Field manager to maintain good
relationship and representations with State and Local government key
stakeholders on advocacy and actively participate in State/LGAs
technical working groups.
- With support from health programme manager (HPM) and Field
manager, ensure effective involvement of government counterpart (state
decision maker) in project activities in order to foster ownership of
the project through a, participatory approach to planning,
implementation, monitoring, evaluation.
- With support from HPM, TAs and HR, identify project staff
development needs and relevant trainings and follow up with relevant
units and ensure that project staff are given every opportunity to
increase their competencies, capacities and own personal development.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Academic/professional qualification at post graduate level, MBBS, MPH or equivalent.
- At least 7 years’ experience in project/Programme management.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability
to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work
plans and evaluate progress; experience in working across multiple
partners and government
- Ability to translate programmatic information into practical
guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print,
electronic, and presentation media
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission.
- Substantial operational experience and a track record of success
in health programming, Newborn care will be an added advantage. Very
good understanding of national health policies and strategies,
programmes and stakeholders, partners on MNCH in Nigeria
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project
management, budget tracking and resource management experience, and
stakeholders’ relationship management capability with proven capacity to
deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and work plans
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy skills – MS Office applications, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Spread sheets
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th August, 2016.