28 Jul 2016
Save the Children Jobs for Drivers in Lagos and Calabar
by Jobzilla Nigeria at 7/28/2016 07:59:00 am Tags: Cross Rivers State , Driving Jobs , Driving-Jobs , Lagos Jobs , Save the Children
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Driver
The driver is responsible for the safe driving of Save the Children UK vehicle, staff and Assets. The Driver will ensure cleaning, proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with the Driver’s handbook and safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is fuelled in time for trips and the proper management of the fuel supply for that vehicle. The driver should do so in accordance with SC policies and procedures.
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Head Driver with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
On the road
- Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident reported to the police as soon as possible.
- Ensures safety of passengers at all times
- Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials
- Save the Children has a no passenger policy – this relates to all non agency personnel and is for reasons of safety, the continuance and equity of the programme.
- Save the Children may give lifts to agency and Governmental staff on occasion for the benefit of the programme – see passenger policy for details.
- SCUK reserves the right to refuse entry to a vehicle any staff member without identification documents or who cannot be identified by SC staff.
- In the event of a medical emergency lifts may be given on prior approval of the programme manager – see passenger policy for details.
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Driver is to ensure SCUK visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Follow and abide by the traffic rules, SC regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by the Line Manager
- Maintain all vehicle’s safety equipment, as per vehicle safety kit, in liaison with the logistics officer – including first aid kit, communication equipment, tow rope and fire extinguisher
- Work after duty hours or holidays as and when required and with prior notice from line manager
- Perform any other relevant and appropriate requested by the Line Manager
Administrative & General Skills
- A full and clean driving license
- Should have 3-5 years experience of professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- Personal Qualities:
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- A reliable, polite and professional attitude to ensure SCUK is perceived as such.
- Working knowledge of the Save the Children Emergency Manual, Sphere, and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills required.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances is required.
- Any additional skills and/or experience that could be used by Save the Children would be taken into account in the selection process
- A heavy goods driving license
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.