The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has
been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote
children’s survival, protection and development.
The world’s largest
provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child
health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education
for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence,
exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary
contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about
making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s
rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Specialist, P-3
Job Number: 497890
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- Accountable for formulation, design, planning, implementing,
monitoring and evaluation of WASH programme to ensure overall efficiency
and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and
accomplishment of programme goals and objectives.
Key Expected Results
- Timely sectoral analysis, input, support and collaboration to
the Situation Analysis and its periodic update made for effective
programme planning, development and management, including emergency
preparedness and response.
- Programme delivery, evaluation and reporting carried out
efficiently, rigorously and transparently in compliance with the
established guidelines and procedures.
- UNICEF’s global goals effectively promoted through advocacy and policy dialogue in the WASH sector.
- Proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability ensured
regarding supply, non-supply and emergency assistance as well as
disbursement of programme funds for the WASH sector.
- Effective communication and networking achieved through
partnership and collaboration including support to the IASC WASH
- Knowledge management effectively promoted through
drafting/finalizing key WASH sectoral programme documents and reports,
sharing good practice, lessons learned, and knowledge/information
- Quality of rights-based WASH programmes effectively promoted,
and coherence, synergy and value added to programme management process
through results-based management and strategies.
- Sectoral work plan and activities formulated, implemented and
monitored, ensuring alignment with the defined programme strategies and
approaches. Programme monitored with special attention to gender/sex
disaggregation of relevant indicators.
Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Programme/project Planning, Development and Management:
- Enhance effective programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral,
planning, development and management by leading, guiding, coordinating
and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its
periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis,
and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
- Ensure inclusion and delivery on sectoral leadership
responsibilities including leadership and facilitation of the IASC WASH
- Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge,
information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote
knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major
programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the
Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals:
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and
policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking
and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF,
leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes, and
reference to the WASH strategy.
UNICEF and Government Accountability:
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and
non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and
Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors
and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with
the regulations and guidelines.
- Advocate for due attention and support to be given to
environmental and sustainable development issues (pertaining to WASH) in
all sectors and line Ministries.
- Ensure adequate attention is given to Disaster Risk Management, including emergency preparedness and response
Rights-Based Programme with Results-Based Approach:
- Promote the quality of rights-based WASH programme and
programmes through participation in the formulation of programme/project
goals, strategies and approaches. Bring coherence, synergy and added
value to programme management processes using a results-based management
approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and
Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring:
- Takes primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral
work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management,
implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in
compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches.
- Support maintenance of information system for monitoring gender/sex disaggregated data.
Programme Management, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting:
- Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and
transparent approach to evaluation. Participation in major evaluation
exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with
- Ensure the preparation of annual WASH sector status reports.
- Ensure adequate and transparent evaluation of emergency preparedness and response.
Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership:
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication
groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and
strategies to support advocacy, social mobilization and emergency
- Overall coordination with WASH colleagues, Regional Advisers and
HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Project, Programme and Emergency
Officers to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme
with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and
Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls
supportive of WASH programme or sectoral planning and implementation,
to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and
bilateral agencies in the different stages of WASH programme/project
implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide
technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and
institutional capacity building measures to achieve WASH programme
goals, including humanitarian response.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to
the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical
Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field
relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant
work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work
experience in the UN or other international development organization,
national government or the private sector. Field work experience.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach.
- Fluency in English and another UN language (for IP)
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station (for NO).
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ III ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Candidate should know that Port Hartcourt, Rivers is a non-family duty station.
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer
Application Deadline 28th July, 2016.