Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to
populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding
from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU, and ECHO the
humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not
food assistance, non-food items (NFI), protection,
livelihoods, cash transfers, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian
response actors. Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its
humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries
with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager – Stabilisation & Conflict Management
- Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments to build secure, productive, and just communities.
- We believe that transitional environments – countries affected
by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters –
offer tremendous opportunities for positive change.
- Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100
peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, making Mercy
Corps a true leader in the field.
- We currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs in some of the world’s toughest places.
- In Nigeria, Mercy Corps is currently implementing a UKAID-funded
program called Conciliation in Nigeria through Community-Based
Conflict Management and Cooperative Use of Resources (CONCUR), the GHR
Foundation-funded Inter-religious Peacebuilding in Northern Nigerian
(IPNN) program, the USAID-funded Engaging Communities for Peace in
Nigeria (ECPN) and the Ford foundation-funded Future of Youth in Norther
- Mercy Corps is actively engaged in program design for the
Northeast, including countering violent extremism and community
- Mercy Corps also provides technical assistance in conflict
sensitivity to programs around Nigeria and leads coordination bodies
aimed at reducing conflict across Nigeria’s diverse regions.
General Position Summary
- The Program Manager, Northeast will provide leadership and
strategic vision for Mercy Corps’ portfolio of stabilization, countering
violent extremism and conflict mitigation programs in Northeast
- S/he will lead the implementation of conflict programming and
provide overall management and supervisory guidance for current and
future conflict programming in Borno State and the Northeast.
- S/he will ensure effective coordination and information
management across Mercy Corps programing in Borno/Northeast and will
work to integrate best practices in conflict sensitivity across the
- S/he will work with the Director of Conflict Management Programs
to ensure program implementation, staff management, identify new
programming opportunities and will serve as a liaison to external
bodies, represent Mercy Corps in Borno State with government, donors and
Essential Job Functions
- In coordination with the Director of Conflict Management Program
and other relevant personnel and counterparts, identify new
initiatives that foster and/ or improve the strategic objectives of the
country office in the Northeast, whether utilizing existing resources
or requiring program/ project development.
- Lead development of identified new initiatives in the Northeast.
- Actively pursue applications of Mercy Corps program models to
emerging opportunities in the Northeast and integrate conflict
programming into other Mercy Corps initiatives.
- Develop and implement donor engagement strategies to
strategically position Mercy Corps Nigeria to expand activities in the
Northeast and with new donors.
Communication and Representation:
- Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO and other
relevant events in the Northeast, in close coordination with the
Director of Conflict Management.
- Serve as leader in coordination groups across conflict
management programs in the country and provide thought leadership
external to Mercy Corps.
- Coordinate activities with consortium partners, sub-grantees,
local government and other implementers, as well as with other Mercy
- Promote MCN conflict management programs within the agency,
through communication about program successes with Headquarters and
other country offices.
Technical Leadership and Strategy:
- Improve quality of conflict management programs through
innovation, active pursuit of lessons learned, adaptability to changing
dynamics, and integration of related programming for increased impact.
- Liaise with other entities conducting related research to ensure coordination of efforts.
- Provide technical assistance in the areas of conflict sensitivity and Do No Harm to other MCN programs.
- Strengthen linkages with other internal agency units to drive
forward quality and innovation of MCN conflict management programming.
- As a strategic leader, actively participate in management meetings and country-wide strategy sessions.
- Design and pursue research initiatives designed to increase the
evidence base around Mercy Corps conflict programming, integrated
peacebuilding and development, countering violent extremism, and other
- Provide leadership and strategic vision in all aspects of program implementation, development and management.
- Monitor adherence to grant agreement, Mercy Corps policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations.
- Oversee performance of relevant consortium partners and sub-grantees.
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites and ensure quality program implementation.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities
and partners, and aligned with Mercy Corps principles, values and
Staff Management, Professional Development and Team building:
- Create a work atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, and ensure the
integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Organizational Learning: As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide
Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for
spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal
professional learning activities.
- Implement, and ensure all staff are effectively using, the
performance planning and management system, establishing performance
expectations and regularly providing constructive feedback.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance
reviews with direct supervisees, and ensuring that supervisory staff do
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts
towards accountability, specifically to our participants and to
international standards guiding international relief and development
work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners
in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly to: Director of Conflict Management Programs, Nigeria
- Works Directly with: Mercy Corps Operations and Finance teams,
other Program Managers/Directors, Regional Director, and counterparts in
neighboring MC country offices. The Director works directly with
relevant Mercy Corps headquarters units as necessary, including Mercy
Corps’ global Conflict Management and Governance teams, Economic and
Market Development team and various administrative/financial units.
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/S or equivalent in Social Science, Management, International Development or other relevant field.
- Four+ years of international development experience including at least three years in a management position.
- Experience managing programs in conflict management and
peacebuilding, with additional experience in governance and/or economic
development programs preferred
- Experience in designing and/or implementing stabilization and countering violent extremism activities strongly preferred
- Experience with program development with DFID, USAID and major foundations preferred
- Understanding of the current political, economic, cultural and historical context of Nigeria, or West Africa.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures,
meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team
- At least three years of experience living and working in developing countries, particularly in conflict-affected areas.
- Strong understanding of various donor compliance issues.
- Experience in proposal development and identification of new initiatives.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing, editing, and presentations.
- Strong management skills and experience managing multiple personnel, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- The successful Director of Conflict Management Programs will
combine experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships and
exceptional management skills.
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong
commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and
changing environments and make effective written and verbal
communication a priority in all situations.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and
manage innovative programs within the current and future program
structure of Mercy Corps in the region.
- S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team
and capacity building, individual staff development, and strong
Living /Environmetal Conditions:
- This position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State with up to
limited travel depending on the security situation, primarily to
program locations within Northeast, where security is at times
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and
outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a
visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a
professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’
policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country
- Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are
all reasonably accessible and there are good international and domestic
travel options from Abuja Airport.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This position is unaccompanied and eligible for hardship and R&R.