African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African
Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution,
promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent.
There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial
and technical support for transformative projects that will
significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Special Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer – Africa50
- Africa50 is a landmark investment vehicle, focused exclusively
on Africa’s infrastructure investment opportunities. It is an
independent, profit driven, commercially managed entity.
- It will provide a means for private sector investors to bring
fresh capital to infrastructure development while securing a return.
- The result should be a significant boost to efforts to ensure
sustained economic growth on the African continent. Africa50 will focus
on large scale, transformative, commercially and developmentally
sustainable infrastructure projects.
- Africa50 will target investments in high-impact national and
regional projects in the energy, transport, Information Communication
Technology and water sectors.
- Africa50 is hiring a Special Assistant to its Chief Executive
Officer (CEO). The selected candidate will assist the CEO in all aspects
of his work and will interact with a wide range of people within and
- They should have a solid record of accomplishments and strong
performance; sound judgment; strong organizational abilities; and
excellent oral and written communication and people skills, including
the ability to work across boundaries, as a leader and as a team
- The ability to be discreet and handle confidential information is also essential.
- The position requires stamina and a tremendous capacity for hard work.
- Qualified candidates will ideally have over six years of
professional experience in finance or management consulting with strong
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities for the successful applicant will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide input, analysis, and recommendations on issues brought to the CEO’s attention either for information or for action.
- Review briefs, speeches, and draft talking points for a wide spectrum of occasions.
- Closely interact with the Africa50 executive team and their staff, and keep them informed of important issues.
- Coordinate all high level corporate meetings, and overall schedule of the CEO.
- Organize and manage special events or visits of high profile guest’s and clients.
- Provide a broad range of analytical and liaison functions.
- Work effectively with Communication Staff to help manage Public Relations and Media outreach for the CEO.
- Coordinate the activities of the CEO’s front office.
- Fluent in English and French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Ensure that the CEO is adequately briefed and informed of important issues as they arise.
- Provide assistance to the CEO on all matters relating to Africa50’s operations, and Board interactions.
- Ensure appropriate follow through on actions, decisions, and
commitments made by the CEO by working with the parties responsible for
- Prepare, attend meetings with (and on behalf of) the CEO, and follow up on agreed actions.
- Maintain regular contact both informally and formally with a
wide range of staff to stay abreast of emerging issues requiring
attention, and establish a program of systematic interaction with staff
and follow up.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Must hold Master’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent qualification.
- Must have at least six (6) years’ experience in finance or management consulting with strong finance skills.
- Responsiveness to demands of the CEO, internal and external clients.
- Strong initiative and record of performance with low supervisory
requirements to function effectively as a member of a team within
unstructured and pressured work environment.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including an ability to deal with
sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and build effective
working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Ability and capability to make decisions quickly, often with incomplete information.
- High degree of tact and discretion in dealing with internal and
external clients, staff at all levels, and in handling confidential and
- Capacity to work long hours as needed; Highly motivated, and committed to highest ethical standards.
- Ability to produce high quality work with very short deadlines,
to effectively prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and to
adapt to unexpected work demands.
- Ability to multitask is essential.
- Highly developed communication and diplomatic skills (written
and oral) to effectively share views at highest levels, and communicate
effectively with staff at all levels.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and logistical skills,
with keen attention to detail and ability to follow up systematically on
a broad set of initiatives and decisions.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 15th August, 2016.