World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating
authority for health within the United Nations system. It is
responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping
the health research agenda, setting norms and standards,
articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical
support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Professional Officer, Health Economic
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT439
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization unit: AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) /AF_NG3 Technical Units (AF_NG3)
Objectives of the Programme
- The goal of Health Systems Strengthening programme (HSS) is to
provide technical guidance and support for the development of evidence
based health policies and plans and their implementation using the
Primary Health Care (PHC) values and principles.
- The programme aims to improve health outcomes through enhancing
capacities for and addressing key constraints related to governance,
leadership and stewardship; people-centered integrated services; health
workforce; health financing; health commodities (such as equipment,
supplies and medicines); partnerships for health; health information
systems and research for health.
Description of Duties
Under the overall Guidance of the WHO Country Representative, and direct
supervision of the Health Systems Adviser at the WHO Country Office in
Abuja, the incumbent will carry out the following duties.
1.) Support the national authorities in strengthening the health financing system
- Support and facilitate the development of NHPSP and its costing
for the medium term budgetary planning, including health financing
situation analysis, macroeconomic analysis, identification of potential
resources and costing of different scenarios;
- Support the development of the national health financing strategy which addresses the NHPSP
- Support the annual budget processes in the Ministry of Health and support capacity building as appropriate
- Support and build capacity for resource tracking processes
including the national health accounts, public expenditure reviews etc
- Support and facilitate the discussion between Ministries of
Finance (or equivalent), Planning and Health regarding health financing
reforms and the budgeting of health policies in the macroeconomic and
2.) Support governance processes in the health sector
- Support and facilitate the country health policy dialogue
process for development of national health policies, strategies and
plans with special emphasis on Government’s UHC through PHC policy
- Support accountability and monitoring mechanisms including the annual joint review processes
- Support analysis and synthesis of evidence for policy and review processes
- Support the national authorities in efforts to strengthen coordination mechanisms in the health sector
- Support and facilitate the translation of the NHPSP into
measurable operational plans, (at programme and/or subnational
sub-national levels and for specific health systems areas, such as
sustainable health financing);
- Support and facilitate the development (consensus) of PHC guidelines and implementation tools;
3.) Support the planning, budgeting, monitoring and resource
mobilization processes for the WHO Country office and within the wider
United Nations System in Nigeria
- Facilitate and coordinate the biennial operational planning process in the country office
- Support the implementation and monitoring of the social capital development pillar of the UNDAF III
- Support WHO’s participation and contribution to the Delivery as One process in selected states
- Facilitate and coordinate WHO’s contribution to the development of the UNDAF IV
- Any other relevant duty assigned by the Supervisor
- Facilitate the periodic monitoring process for the WHO biennial
work-plans including the mid-term review and the end of biennium
- Facilitate the WCO compliance with reporting requirements to external donors as necessary
- University degree in Medicine, Public Health, Political Science or Economics.
- Advanced university degree in public health, health economics or other related area.
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event that your candidature is retained for an
interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy
of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an
institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database
(WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities
(IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural
Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link:
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Technical expertise in planning, monitoring and evaluating health systems.
- Sound knowledge of health financing.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the Ministry of
Health and with a wide variety of stakeholders at the country level
- Proven ability to interact effectively at the political level with multiple high level
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synthesize and communicate complex concepts and ideas verbally and in writing.
- IT Proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and
technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners in
- Demonstrated ability to analyse political contexts and interact
and negotiate effectively with multiple interests at the political
- Ensuring the effective use of resources,
- Producing results
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in policy, planning, managing or developing health systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian health system and health financing context.
- Specific experience in Health Financing.
- Previous experience in WHO, UN or other international organizations.
- Essential: Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an
annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension
contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan,
health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
Annual salary: (Net of tax) at single rate
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 10th August, 2016.