British American Tobacco (www.bat.com) is a market leading, global
organisation with a long, established history and a bright and dynamic
future. Thanks to our people we have continued to deliver growth and
exceed expectations in an increasingly complex and challenging
Our aim is to become the leading tobacco company in each of our markets
by providing excellent products with confidence and responsibility
expected of global consumer brands.
If you have the talent and motivation to help us succeed you’ll find we
are equally committed to helping you reach your full potential too.
British American Tobacco is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Corporate Finance Manager, Compliance and Controls
Job number: 12073BR
Appointment type: Permanent
Job Purpose and Key Deliverables
- British American Tobacco has an exciting opportunity for a Corporate Finance Manager to join our team in Lagos.
- The jobholder will support Management in maintaining an
appropriate balance of risk and control through the review of internal
controls, investigations followed by recommending action plans to help
maintain an appropriate balance of risk and control within the
organisation. In addition, the role holder shall promote awareness of
control and risk throughout the business and ensure compliance with UK
and local Corporate Governance requirements.
Operational / Technical / Professional Results:
- Produce & communicate control environment progress to BAT
Nigeria Leadership Team whilst highlighting potential internal control
weaknesses within BAT Nigeria and ensuring that corrective actions are
executed effectively on time
- “Stress test” the internal controls and governance procedures
and processes within BATN to proactively envisage likely control gaps
for appropriate remedial action.
- Perform pre-audit preparation as appropriate to evaluate the
control effectiveness of BATN and its subsidiaries’ processes, discuss
the results of the review and follow up on the Management action plans.
- Perform investigations at the request of Management where
compliance with existing controls are suspected of having broken down
and discuss the results and agree relevant action plans.
- Monitor the process and structural changes within the
organization and assess its implications on the control environment.
Advise management on remedial action to sustain the control environment
as well as reducing business risk exposure.
- Discuss the compliance checks carried out on each process, the
approach used and the timing of the checks with the internal and
external auditors. Keep the management and the auditors abreast of any
issues that may effect the audit planning, execution or outcome.
- Review projects & programs in the end market at the
initiation, work in progress and completion stages, with the aim of
embedding controls, business policies and procedures during
implementation to achieve the objective of good corporate governance.
- Based on the External and Internal audit results, identify and
highlight to management the potential processes that require overhauling
to achieve transparency and control efficiencies with in BATN and its
- Provide guidance during the implementation of new business
processes to ensure that controls and compliance with policies &
procedures are duly considered, and fully incorporated in the Process
- Develop means and methods within the organisation to promote and
monitor the compliance with Group/local governance rules and
requirements; – (BAT Plc combine code / Standard of business conduct,
relevant provisions of Company & Allied Matters Act and Central Bank
of Nigeria’s Manual on Foreign Exchange & Miscellaneous
- Act as custodian for BATN and its subsidiaries’ Delegation of
Authority as well as monitoring deviations from Regional and Global
Delegation of Authority. Ensure DoA is kept up-to-date to reflect
current business reality and operating structures needs; also raise
awareness and drive compliance with DoA throughout Nigeria end market.
- Coordinate with AME Region the request for exemptions from
applying certain policies and procedures when necessary by providing the
region with justifications for such exemptions.
- To provide administrative support to the Nigeria Area Audit & CSR Committee, as well as its Risk Management Committee.
- Develop a collaborative relationship with the senior management
as a centre of excellence for controls and risk management. – – Actively
support management in Group governance framework (e.g. Control
Navigator, Internal Control Signoff, IRIs, SOBC, etc).
- Work closely with security function in promoting and embedding
the company risk management guidelines and support the production of
robust business risks templates.
- Leverage technology to proactively manage control &
governance issues associated with various on going Change Programs in
Nigeria market, with a view of ensuring appropriate balance of risks and
controls during and after the transition periods.
- The Corporate Finance Manager, Compliance and Controls will
preferably be a qualified Finance / Audit Professional (ACA or ACCA or
CIMA) and / or Audit professional with 4 years post qualification
- The complexity and subjectivity of marketing requires an
individual with proven potential and strong management and interpersonal
skills. The following attributes and behaviours are required.
- Possession of MBA and membership of Chartered Institute of
Taxation are added advantage with a highly commercial approach, though a
graduate with finance & accounting majors and extensive commercial
experience will also be considered.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Sound analytical and statistical skills
- Excellent people leadership skills
- Good communication skills
- Working knowledge of SAP applications and its in-built controls.
- Minimum of 4 years knowledge and experience in FMCG environment;
- High strategic thinking ability
- Strong interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th August, 2016.