23 Aug 2016
British Council Job in Nigeria for a Head of Resources
We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
British Council is recruiting to fill the below position below:
Job Title: Head of Resources
Region: Director Business Services Nigeria
Department: Business Services
Pay Band: 8
Purpose of Job
- To directly contribute to growing British Council Nigeria’s operation, building positive perceptions of the British Council and the UK, with the British Council as a leading global Cultural Relations organisation.
- S/he will demonstrate a deep understanding of the organisation’s strategy, aims, ambition and the Nigeria operating context and the ability to build effective relationships with operational colleagues.
- The post holder will be the British Council Nigeria’s Health & Safety Champion and custodian of standards, Green Champion as well as actively supporting our approach to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI).
- As an active member of the Nigeria Country Management Team, Head of Resources will effectively contribute to country strategy and the operational delivery of country objectives.
- As Head of Resources with accountability for Facilities and Estates, the role will work closely with the Nigeria senior team and the Resources teams to deliver and manage a fit for purpose estate and facilities function, leading on delivery of planned large-scale premises projects.
- Head of Resources is key to ensuring our premises are a place that appeal to the next generation of Nigerians
- The post holder will be required to operate across a spectrum - taking a holistic approach to planning and delivery of estates and facilities, understanding current and future business needs, ensuring quality standards and value for money.
Strategy Development and Implementation:
- Develop, plan, deliver and evaluate the Nigeria Estates strategy and plan, working with the Nigeria Executive and Senior Leadership Teams and the Global Estates and Risk teams corporately. The Estates strategy and plan will include agreed targets and reflect the strategic focus of the Nigeria operation.
- As an ‘internal consultant’ and ‘intelligent client’ to the business areas, engage regularly and consistently with business leads and their teams to form a sound understanding of business direction and needs and a fit for purpose estates / facilities response in line with strategic direction, operational requirements, corporate standards and budgets.
- Provide subject matter expertise to the Nigeria Leadership Team as required to inform the development of policies, strategies and standards.
- Effective project management of all premises projects across the estate ensuring projects deliver on time, on budget and to quality standards. Sound project management supported by effective project governance, planning, timely reporting, monitoring and evaluation, risk management, stakeholder engagement, procurement of goods and services, supplier management, internal communications.
- Manage project teams comprising in-house BC staff and external consultants to ensure effective delivery of property investment projects within the Nigeria premises portfolio
- Accountable for the BC Nigeria Resources budgets (approximately GBP700k excluding investments). Ensure sound budget management and reporting in line with corporate requirements.
- Management of the delivery and maintenance of fit for purpose facilities functions and teams, including: facilities management, health & safety, external venues, transport, travel and logistics, facilities related procurement, supplier and contract management
- Working with project teams, supports the delivery of internally and externally hosted events including risk management
- Submits timely and accurate premises and environmental corporate returns in line with reporting requirements
- Facilities Management services delivered to agreed Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Supports Director Business Services in the business case for investment bids
- Management of the Facilities teams in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano (approx. 20 staff) including direct line management of Facilities Managers
- Provide expertise relevant to the service development and delivery of the estates and facilities management function
- Management of the delivery and maintenance of a fit for purpose estate across Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano including office and residential premises to meet corporate compliance standards and internal customers’ needs. Manages the relationship with landlords
- Lead on the procurement of all Facilities & Estates related goods and services including retendering of supplier contracts. Sourcing and selection in line with BC Nigeria Procurement Policy and relevant UK or EU or procurement rules. Sourcing solutions deliver value for money and quality of goods / services.
- Liaise with British High Commission to support import and timely clearance of goods sourced outside of Nigeria
- Proactively manage the relationship with key suppliers and specifically the quality of service / value for money from suppliers identifying opportunities for efficiencies
- To lead as British Council Nigeria’s Health & Safety and Fire Safety Champion and custodian of standards in line with corporate standards across all areas of facilities and estates (including external venues)
- Work collaboratively with the Environmental Management team colleagues to ensure that the estate and Facilities Management services are managed so as to minimise environmental impact, to maintain the requirements of ISO 14001 certification and to meet the requirements of environmental policy, strategy and standards set by the Environmental Management team.
- As “Green Champion” promotes awareness of environmental issues across all staff
- Actively supports our approach to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) embedding EDI in our work in line with British Council’s EDI policy at all times and through suppliers
- To effectively manage risk across the estate and function at operational and enterprise levels
- Working alongside BC Nigeria Head of Security and business leads, ensures business continuity, emergency response and Incident Management plans are in place and regularly tested
- Ensure emergency response teams (including first aiders) are in place with clear roles and responsibilities and appropriate training
- Deliver staff training and briefing sessions to raise awareness of H&S / Fire / Emergency Response procedures and staff roles and responsibilities
- Engage in internal and external professional networks and continuous professional development to ensure that knowledge, networks and expertise are kept updated
- Country Director, the Nigeria Executive Team and Senior Leadership Team
- Key colleagues in Strategic Business Units (SBUs) and Business Services
- Environmental Management Team
- British High Commission including: Head of Freight; Corporate Services; Technical Works Group (TGW)
- External suppliers, including hotels and venues
- EDI & Child Protection Working Groups
- Global Estates Team
- Enterprise Risk Management Team
- The post holder will be expected to travel within Nigeria and on occasion to the UK and within the SSA region. There is likely to be a need to work outside office hours from time to time.
- As a member of the senior team, occasional attendance at events at weekends and evenings.
Behaviours (Please see The Behaviours Dictionary for behaviour definitions and levels):
Behaviours assessed during interview stage of recruitment process:
- Making it Happen - Most demanding level
- Connecting With Others - Most demanding level
- Working Together - Most demanding level
- Creating Shared Purpose - Most demanding level
- Shaping the Future - Most demanding level
- Being Accountable - Most demanding level
- The position holder will be required to demonstrate all six behaviours, on the job. These will be assessed during year end performance evaluations.
- Behaviours to be assessed during the interview stage of recruitment are referenced.
- Communicating & Influencing skills (L4)
- Managing Risk (L3)
- Managing Project (L4)
- Managing People (L4)
- Planning & Organising (L3)
- Programme Management
- Supplier management
- Short listing and Interview
- A minimum of 5 years of proven experience in a similar role within the corporate sector, public /NGO sector
- Evidence of quality management skills, and of having managed a service delivery/support function so as to deliver improvements in service quality to customers and users.
- Evidence of managing and working in a multi-disciplinary
- Property or estates team carrying out a mix of different functions or delivering different services
- Experience in a similar role in an international organisation
- Short listing and Interview
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with a professional qualification in a Property - related discipline supported by full membership of and accreditation with a relevant professional property institute (such as RICS, RIBA, BIFM or CIBSE in the UK or relevant regional equivalent.)
- Member (by examination) of an internationally accredited organisation such as IOSH or NFPA.
- Short listing
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Click here to download job details (pdf)
Click here to download BC Behaviour (pdf)
Application Deadline Monday; 5th September, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.