The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations
organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and
worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one
another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous
and sustainable futures for us all.
We build trust and understanding
between different countries and cultures and develop strong
international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the
rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the below position below:
Job Title: Examinations Officer
Location: Port Harcourt
Reports to: Operations Manager
Pay Band: Country Appointed PB4
Directorate or Region: SSA
Department/Country: Exams, Nigeria
Purpose of Job
- To support Examination Services in Nigeria in delivering exams
and tests and to maintain them at the highest professional standards as
set out in the British Council’s EQCA (Examination Quality &
Comliance Standards), examinations boards and partner standards.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
(including people management and finance)
- As Exams Officer, the post holder will be line managed by an Operations Manager or IELTS Administrator in Lagos.
- Quality and Compliance: to deliver a high standard of customer
service to our schools and their candidates. As measured by our own
Exams Quality Standards, Customer Service Standards, and inspection
visits from Cambridge International Exams, IELTS and other examination
boards as required.
- Finance: all British Council standards for managing finances are
met with relation to income reconciliations, cash handling, managing
purchase orders, managing contracts and procurement.
- This role will support delivery of all examinations administered
from the Lagos office. This role will ensure that assigned tests are
delivered in a timely manner
- All administrative procedures are in full compliance with examination boards, partners and EQCA standards.
- Reliability: to ensure examinations are delivered securely according to board requirements
Administration of examinations (pre-test):
- Overseeing the taking delivery of examinations materials and
checking them prior to exams commencing, packing and returning scripts,
maintaining logs appropriately.
- Answering enquiries about exams.
- Assist with recruitment and management of venue staff (invigilators, examiners and inspectors).
- Assist with evaluation of new associate schools, agents and other educational institutions.
- Assist with searching for and evaluation new venues.
- Exam registration procedures including receiving and collating
registration forms, entering and retrieving data on exam board
registration portals, payments and exams correspondence including
dispatch of results.
- Delivering Examinations on test days which includes:
- Delivering speaking tests
- Overseeing practical examinations
- Supervision of venue staff
- Ensuring adherence examination day procedures
- Secure and accurate despatch of test answers and materials to
the examination board. Maintaining accurate logs of examination paper
- Effective delegation of duties when absent on leave or through illness etc.
- To be part of the recruitment, training and monitoring team for venue staff.
- To act as liaison between examiners and the relevant operations managers and trainers.
- Venue staff creation, scheduling and payment.
- Assist with monitoring and training of invigilators.
- To assist in planning agent briefing events, and to support agents in the registration and preparing candidates for exams.
- To assist Exam/Grant Funded Services (GFS) project managers in
delivery of Education/Skills-specific events, including assisting with
managing relationships with stakeholders.
- To assist with managing administration of exams with professional bodies partners, as necessary.
- To assist schools with becoming associate centres, as necessary.
Marketing & Customer Service:
- To assist in providing data for marketing action plan and business planning.
- Seeking and using customer feedback to improve service delivery.
- To assist with preparation and submission of income reconciliations to agreed timescales.
- To record income correctly on the FABS (Finance and Business Support) system and in a timely manner.
- To comply with Contract and Procurement standards.
- To assist the Regional Sales Manager in appropriate marketing of examinations in Nigeria.
- To follow a programme of visits to schools/educational
institutions/training providers to build relationships with existing and
potential clients to expand the business.
- To assist in customer service, delivery of other examinations
and other duties as required in this small office, especially in times
of staff absences.
Continuing professional development:
- To ensure that elective and mandatory training is completed. To contribute to centre and national meetings and working groups.
- Internal: Country Exams Manager, Deputy Country Exams Manager,
Examination Officers elsewhere in Nigeria and globally, Customer Service
Staff Nigeria, Finance Manager Nigeria, Regional Exams Team, IELTS
team, Professional Exams Team, Schools Team
- External: Vocational and higher education training providers in
Nigeria and the UK. IELTS Regional Team. School Principals, Educational
Agents, AISEN, APEN, ELTAN and other professional teaching
associations; venue staff, enquirers, candidates
- Working together (essential): Establishing a genuinely common goal with others.
- Making it happen (essential):
- Being Accountable (more demanding)
Creating Shared Purpose (essential):
- Shaping the future (essential)
- Look for ways in which we can do things better.
- Connecting with others (essential): Making regular opportunities to understand others better.
- These behaviours will be needed to successfully carry out the role, but will not be assessed for recruitment purposes
Skills and Knowledge (See The Generic Skills Dictionary for details)
- Developing Business Level 1
- Applies a range of standard analytical techniques to support
business development – e.g. pricing tools, revenue tracking, monitoring
sales prospects, audience figures or profit margin.
- Applies a range of standard analytical techniques to support
- Using Technology Level 1:
- Able, with adjustments if necessary, to use office software and
British Council systems to do the job and manage documents or processes.
- Customer Service Focus.
- Strong Organisation Skills.
- Ability to deal with conflict.
- English Language proficiency to IELTS band 8.0, CEF C2 in all areas (or equivalent)
- Strong Attention to Detail.
- Knowledge of the education and qualification systems in the UK and Nigeria
- Short listing & Interview
- Providing and monitoring service within quality standards.
- Working quickly and accurately to tight deadlines.
- Experience of handling and reporting on payments from customers.
- Training and managing a team to deliver to quality standards.
- Arranging meetings with stakeholders.
- Experience of delivering examinations in a timely and secure manner.
- Short listing and Interview
- A first degree or equivalent (including via work experience).
- A qualification in examinations management.
- Short listing
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 12th August, 2016.