Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental
organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries
around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need,
regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local
non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore,
strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations
is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS
re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on
agriculture, health and emergency programming.
Catholic Relief Services is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Program Manager
Location: Makurdi, Benue
Department: Agriculture and Economic Growth
Reports To: Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth
- CRS is implementing a cassava program in Benue state. The
program which is titled ‘Building an Economically Sustainable Cassava
Seed System’ is aimed at increasing farmers’ access to quality cassava
planting materials of new and improved varieties.
- The program started in late 2015 and will be ending in 2019.
Under the program, CRS will be working with key partners such as the
National Agricultural Seed Council, Agricultural Development Project,
National Roots Crops Research Institute, International Institute for
Tropical Agriculture, CGIAR program on Roots, Tuber and Banana and
others to support seed entrepreneurs in producing quality cassava
planting materials of new and improved varieties for farmers.
Specifically, CRS will identify, select and provide technical assistance
to the seed entrepreneurs, ensure field certification and eventual
sales of materials to farmers. The project hopes to work with at least
80 seed entrepreneurs, providing quality planting materials to farmers
in a timely manner.
- The State Program Manager – Agriculture; will be responsible for
managing the seed entrepreneurs to achieve the project’s set targets in
Benue State within the context of CRS/Nigeria Agricultural Strategies.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Unit, Agriculture and
Economic Growth, the Program Manager – Agriculture will be responsible
for managing the seed entrepreneurs and field level partners to achieve
its set targets in Benue State.
- The PM will build the capacity of the project partners’ staff
and work closely with them to coordinate the implementation of the
- In addition, the PM become familiar with CRS agency wide
strategic plan on agriculture/livelihood and gain a better understanding
of selected value chains and related services.
- Conduct monitoring visits to partners and provide hands-on
support in project implementation including development of regular
work-plans and budgeting.
- Provide necessary mentorship/leadership skills to help develop adequate agriculture capacity within project partners.
- Mobilize and document partners’ contributions (in cash and kind) to project development and implementation.
- Update agriculture and food security section of the CRS share point regularly with relevant program documents.
- Work with Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth for
Agriculture to ensure targets of projects are met and partners submit
regular programmatic and financial reports as required.
- Contribute to periodic programmatic reports and other communications required by donors.
- Contribute to CRS strategic plan to expand the agriculture and food security portfolio.
- Ensure project partner use standard quarterly narrative, monthly
financial reporting formats and submit their reports in a timely
- Ensure project partners’ advances/liquidations are submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate half year field visits with Finance to ensure
adequate support to partners so that advances and liquidations are
finalized in a timely manner.
- Support the drafting of comprehensive progress reports (monthly,
quarterly and/or annual) in accordance with expectations and
- Support partners in the use of the project’s M&E system,
ensuring its results are analyzed and appropriate changes are
incorporated into the project program implementation;
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth for
Agriculture, Program Manager for Household Economic Strengthening and
Food Security, Finance, Administration, M&E, Audit, Head of
Programs, Country Representative, RTA/Agriculture as well as other
relevant regional and HQ Technical Staff.
- External: Justice, Peace and Development Commissions of the
Catholic Church (JPDCs), other Implementing Partner Organizations
(National Root Crop Research Institute – NRCRI, National Agricultural
Seeds Council – NASC, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture –
IITA, Agricultural Development Program – ADP, Seed Entrepreneurs and
Farmer Groups/Organizations), Agro-processors, representatives of other
NGOs, Donors, Researchers, and Private Sector.
- Strong leadership, analytical, planning and research skills
- Ability and willingness to learn/work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Resourceful, and result-oriented and high performer.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and religious environments.
- Well-established skills in proposal design, implementation, M&E, and reporting
- Excellent written/oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Master’s degree in Agriculture related-field
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to work with multiple stakeholders successfully and to create linkages.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender responsive programming.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Nigerian nationality.
- Minimum three years’ program management experience with an NGO
including experience in cassava seeds system, cassava value chain and
public and private donor relations.
- Ability to work closely with Church partners and commitment to Agency mission.
- Computer proficiency particularly in Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet required.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a team structure
- Normal conditions akin to office environment, based in Makurdi; willingness and ability to travel within the country.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form
and send with a detailed 3-page Resume in a single
file MS Word document to: NG-HR@global.crs.org
Application Deadline 12th September, 2016.