4 Aug 2016
Consultancy Opportunities at Save the Children, August 4th, 2016
by Jobzilla Nigeria at 8/04/2016 09:00:00 am Tags: Abuja Jobs , Consultancy Jobs , Jigawa State , Save the Children , Zamfara State
The organization focuses on full spectrum programming - development and humanitarian – with core thematic work in education, child protection, hunger and livelihoods, child rights governance, health and nutrition. Activities generally focus on building government capacity in policy development and service delivery, while also working with communities and civil society organizations to build demand and accountability mechanisms, and implementing direct services through specific projects and operational research activities. Working with and through partners such as Action against Hunger (ACF), Save the Children (SCI) has also invested heavily in advocacy and campaigns.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: State Specific Social Protection Policies Development Consultant
Locations: Abuja, Zamfara and Jigawa
SCI has been contracted by DFID to implement a large-scale social protection programme in Northern Nigeria, the Child Development Grant Programme (CDGP). CDGP provides an unconditional cash transfer of 3,500 NGN per month to pregnant women and women with children under the age of two (2) in Zamfara and Jigawa accompanied by behavioural change communication, to tackle poverty, food insecurity and malnutrition. The programme is being implemented in two states of Northern Nigeria, Jigawa and Zamfara, with close collaboration and involvement of state governments. The programme is aimed at reducing the prevalence of stunting and improving food security. There are 4 key outputs of the programme:
- Output 1: Design and delivery a secure payments mechanism providing regular, timely cash transfers to pregnant women and women with under-2s.
- Output 2: Effective system for mobilisation, targeting and complementary interventions.
- Output 3: Enhanced government capacities for managing cash transfers in focus States.
- Output 4: Evidence of cash transfer modalities and impacts provided to policymakers and practitioners at State and Federal levels.
- The appointment of a Special Advisor to Vice President on Social Investments and the establishment of National Social Safety Nets Coordinating Office (NASSCO) established for coordination and setting standards. established for coordination and standards
- The design of the National Social Safety Net Program (NSSNP) aimed at providing access to targeted transfers to the poorest and most vulnerable households. transfers to the poorest and most vulnerable households under an expanded national social
- The on-going efforts to validate and approve the draft National Social Protection Policy Framework (NSPPF).
Objectives and Overview of Consultancy:
- Social protection policies support the development of well-targeted, appropriately financed and well-coordinated responses to poverty and vulnerability thus contributing to poverty reduction efforts.
- These policies would reflect each States priorities and would have garnered contributions and support from key ministries and stakeholders in those states.
- The purpose and ultimate aim of this consultancy is to facilitate the adoption of National Social Protection policy and making them state specific for Jigawa and Zamfara.
- The objective of this consultancy is to support Jigawa and Zamfara states’ adoption of the draft national social protection policy and making them state specific.
- This consultancy will be carried out by 2 national consultant, one a social policy specialist and the second social protection specialist. The consultant will work in collaboration with state government stakeholders, SCI and AAH staff and the CDGP Social Protection advisor using the following suggested methodology which is open for review;
- Desk Review Draft National Social Protection Policy and other background documents - 3 days
- Policy Development/Consultation Workshops with key stakeholders in each state that include government stakeholders and CSOs - 16 days
- Develop Draft State Specific Social Protection policy documents - 10 days
- Policy Validation Workshops - 4 days
- Finalize the policy for each State - 7 days
- Consultation and validation workshop reports
- Final policy documents
- A Master's Degree or PhD in a field related to Social Protection (economics, social sciences, public policy and/or international development policy),
- Previous experience in policy development or program implementation would be an advantage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required,
- Ability to work independently and respond to feedback in a timely and professional manner,
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Previous research experience on poverty aid/development, experience in quantitative or qualitative data collection and analysis,
- Expected Starting Date: August 22, 2016
- Expected Finishing Date: December 22, 2016
- Total Person Days technical input: 40
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th August, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.