The International Rescue Committee is a prominent international
organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection,
post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those
uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization
responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into
Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide with humanitarian interventions
through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected
populations. IRC Nigeria operates a country office Abuja and field
offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State and Maiduguri of Borno state.
Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care,
nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment,
protection, child protection, education, food security &
JOB POSITION: Field Coordinator
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Field Coordinator (FC) leads IRCs response in the Maiduguri and
Damatru Field Sites and is responsible for overall field coordination,
program support, and field office management working in collaboration
with Sector Coordinators, DDP, Finance Controller, Senior HR Manager,
Senior Supply Chain Manager, DDP and CD. As the IRC’s most senior
representative in the field, the Field Coordinator must bring a senior
leadership profile with a proven track record in managing emergency
programming. The successful candidate will be confident eloquent and
organized, able to represent IRC to partners including beneficiaries and
donors as well as handle sensitive, complex issues in a diplomatic way
that puts the needs of beneficiaries first.
The Field Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director of Operations
and is based in Maiduguri Borno State with occasional travel to Damatru
in Yobe State.
Field Operational Management
- Coordinate all operational functions in the Maiduguri and Damatru
offices to ensure overall management of Borno Yobe-based operational
- Ensure operational support for program teams and coordinate with
sector coordinators and managers for effective implementation of all
- Ensure health, safety and security protocols are followed at all
times, and take corrective, timely actions as required and in
consultation with the DDO and other SMT members
- Review IRC security plans on a regular basis and ensure they are up to date at all times.
- Support budget holders in review of budget vs. actual reports with
operations staff and ensure appropriate action is taken in a timely
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance and supply cahin
policies, including all aspects of procurement and asset management.
- Guarantee adequate communication and coordination between field
locations, technical coordination staff and country office on daily
activities as well as program and operational issues.
- Support emergency needs assessments and emergency program implementation in response to the developing humanitarian situation.
- Together with program and grant staff, develop programs and
proposals for rapid and timely support of populations affected by
- Support and coordinate with Borno and Yobe based operations team as
well as Abuja all aspects of supply chain support, including
procurement, stock management, asset management, vehicle and equipment
renewal, maintenance and repair (including communications and computer
- Oversee under the auspices of the Finance Controller and DDO the
financial management of field office operations, and finance/supply
chain staff, including cash management and transactions, operational
- Ensure complete and correct use of all finance forms and timely communication of financial issues to the financial controller.
- Participate in the implementation of the strategic action plan (SAP) for IRC Nigeria Country Office (CO)
- Develop a Borno -focused operations plan to support the program activities and the scale up programming.
HR and Staff Development
- Ensure the ongoing capacity building of operations team (SC, HR,
Admin, IT & Security) through support to direct supervisors in
ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans
- Ensure appropriate support to the team through regular IDP site visits and replacement of staff if needed
- Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies
including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and
Coordination and Representation
- Support the DDP and program teams to ensure quality implementation of the IRC Nigeria program interventions.
- Represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, and attend coordination meetings as needed at the state level.
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with
key stakeholders at the state level including donors, government actors,
local traditional leadership, beneficiary populations and their
- Establish and maintain networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote strategic partnerships.
- Masters degree required (management-related or general operations preferred);
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing operations and/or projects in developing countries, preferably in Africa;
- Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills;
- Strong computer skills;
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices;
- Experience in Supply Chain, HR/Admin, and security management
- Experience having managed operations (including security) in conflict-impacted setting
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
Specific Security Situation /Housing
Maiduguri is security phase 3 (ORANGE) so the FC will be expected to
respect the various security protocols in place in country. Phase 3
requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should
hibernation or evacuation be called. A government curfew exists and
remains 9pm to 6am, meaning expatriate staff have to be at the
hotel/guesthouse in Maiduguri no later than 6:00pm. There is one shared
guesthouses in Maiduguri with similar accommodation available in the
other field offices.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply