Talentstone – Our client is a financial sector non-governmental body. It
seeks to support increased access to financial services by making the
market for financial services work better for the poor, and by
improving regulation in Nigeria.
To further achieve the aforementioned objective, our client has
identified the urgent need to recruit competent and suitably qualified
individuals to fill the specified position below:
Job Title: Digital Financial Services (DFS) Platform Program Manager
Location: Abuja (Candidates must be willing to relocate. Relocation will be covered by the client)
Reports to: Head of Project Management Secretariat
Seven out of ten Nigerian adults are unbanked, and nearly half of the
adult population is considered financially excluded. Some banking
clients have to travel long distances to reach a branch, resulting in
the travel cost sometimes being higher than the amount the client wanted
to deposit on that day.
Digital Financial Services (DFS) has the potential to expand the
delivery of basic financial services to the poor or underbanked through
new technologies like mobile phones, computers, electronic money and new
channels such as retail agents.
- Reports to – Head of Project Management Secretariat
- This position will be responsible for leading a diverse set of
projects and stakeholders from initiation through closure to achieve the
DFS Platform Initiative’s strategic objectives and benefits. These
include the successful digitization of a core set of priority payment
streams, with accompanying payment system changes, critical to driving
overall financial inclusion in Nigeria.
- The DFS Platform Program Manager (PM) is expected to align and
shape organizational and strategic decisions at the senior management
level that affect initiative goals, including senior leaders and
executives within government, commercial parties, and large non-profit
organizations that assist the poor with the overall objective of
financial inclusion. This position will manage resources, budget and key
relationships and partners needed for success.
- This role manages people and is responsible for supervising the
Program Management Unit within the Project Secretariat, managing
employee engagement, communicating performance expectations, creating
goal alignment, integrating project and change management, measuring
progress and holding team accountable.
- Work with national stakeholders to create and implement an
implementation roadmap to strengthen existing platform or deploy a newly
designed platform or components that enable digital financial services
that work for poor people and are secure, robust and effective;
- Manage initiative related work in line with project budget,
available resources, and contracts. Lead future efforts to refine and
update country roadmap;
- Identify and mobilize national stakeholders who may be of
strategic or tactical importance to the success of the initiative.
Represent the importance of the initiative and related work efforts to
the overall financial inclusion objectives. This role is responsible for
high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with
grantees and partners;
- Create and leverage strong relationships and networks both
in-country and regionally. Manage country efforts with cultural acuity;
- Orchestrate Initiatives execution that includes multiple strategic project teams;
- Responsible for initiative team management; identifying and
on-boarding staff, assessing staff capacity and capability needed to
support strategic priorities, monitor staff deployment and workload
across the country initiative team.
- Provide integrated view of all initiatives.
- Oversee team budget, including forecasting and reporting activities;
- Serve as thought partner to national stakeholders and global
sponsors of the DFS initiative. Stay abreast of and share developments
in country that may impact initiative activities or outcomes;
- Identify and resolve major deployment issues, represent these
issues and recommended solutions to the Head of the Project Secretariat;
- Builds a peer support and strong internal-company relationships with other key management personnel;
Competencies & Skills Requirements
Core Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated record of success managing team with diverse skills
on highly complex and risky, business critical problems in developing
- Excellent analytical, writing and verbal skills for communicating and influencing a broad and diverse audience;
- Strong understanding of mobile payment solutions, especially in developing markets;
Communication and Collaboration Skills:
- Effective as an executive facilitator in complex internal and
external organizations. Proficient at capturing and understanding
stakeholder needs and expectations, analyzing the impact of the program
on stakeholders, gaining and maintaining stakeholder support, managing
stakeholder communications, and mitigating / channelling stakeholder
- Individual will be required to prioritize the critical and
complex issues, work and activities that the Program Management Unit
team needs to focus on.
- Navigate a variety of work environments, cultures and challenges that arise in working across key stakeholders.
- Build trust of stakeholders, grantees and partners to ensure alignment;
Internal & External Contacts:
- Manage day to day relationship with internal and external
stakeholders, grantees, and close partners. Identify and develop
internal relationships in support of program work;
- Problems are highly complex and require research and careful review of options.
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a First Degree and/or professional certifications in
relevant technical fields or other social science disciplines from a
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years’ cognate work experience within
the financial or technology sector, ten (10) of which should be in a
similar function at senior management level;
- Demonstrated proficiency managing analytically rigorous initiatives;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- This position attracts a competitive compensation and benefits packages.
- The position is for a 2-year initial contract period, renewable
subject to the project’s life cycle and per candidates’ performances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download a pre-interview questionnaire below and send the completed questionnaire with a copy of their updated resume in Microsoft Word format to: email@example.com cc: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Job Title and Reference Code for the position in the subject.
Application Deadline 19th August, 2016.