2 Aug 2016
Human Resources Manager Job at Mercy Corps Nigeria
food assistance, non-food items (NFI), protection, livelihoods, cash transfers, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on conflict mitigation, adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and humanitarian assistance. With funding from variety of government donors and foundations, Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in Nigeria to respond to these needs, bringing benefit to more than 50,000 beneficiaries per year. All Mercy
- Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
- With the rapid growth and increasing activities in Mercy Corps, there is the need for a middle management staff to complement management’s efforts at sustaining the resolve to meet its HRM objectives.
- The HR Manager is responsible for coordinating activities within the HR unit, ensuring excellence and timely delivery on job requirements. The HR Manager is required to provide efficient oversight function in the management of human resources activities for Mercy Corps programs in Nigeria; assist in the achievement of Mercy Corps program objectives with the facilitation of recruitment, remuneration and staff development issues.
- The Human Resources Manager will be based in Abuja with frequent travels to project locations including the North East
- Ensure an effective and efficient HR system
- Assist Operations Manager in designing and implementing improvement strategies in the HR unit
- Responsible for ensuring efficient filing of personnel files for all staff - including recruitment documents,
- Maintain a tracking system for all leave types taken by employees;
- Maintain up-to- date staffing lists; preferably filing by program and department;
- Ensure that employee performance evaluations are completed as scheduled;
- Ensure that all national staff have an up-to- date relevant job description;
- Coordinate coverage for operations during annual leave of key national staff with management;
- Oversee the monthly procedure of timesheets for all staff including collection, review and compilation into payroll; train new staff on timesheet procedure;
- Process monthly payroll in conjunction with finance staff and ensure payroll is delivered in a timely manner;
- CVs, valid contracts, PAFs, timesheets, employee data sheets, disciplinary papers and performance evaluations:
- Ensure recruitment of national staff adheres to Mercy Corp approved standard Recruitment Policies and Procedures
- Ensure adequate participation of HR Department in interviews for new staff;
- Ensure approved Salaries and benefits adhere to Mercy Corps salary scales and protocols
- Ensure Mercy Corps Nigeria personnel policies strictly adhere to Nigerian labour law as applicable; this includes payment of appropriate taxes, benefits etc.;
- Responsible for ensuring adequate orientation of all new, national staff on Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Ensure all new staff receive copies of Nigeria National Staff Policy Handbook and are alerted to
- Oversee the clearance of terminated employees, as per Mercy Corp policies and procedures;
- Participate in disciplinary, hiring and termination meetings with program staff upon request;
- Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to
- Support and advice on policies, as required;
- Advise staff (national and international) on disciplinary procedures;
- Advise staff (national and international) on raise policies and procedures;
- Assist management in conducting or arranging for trainings and/or other human resource
- Other duties as assigned.
- The HR Manager directly supervises the HR Officer
- Reports directly to: Operations Manager
- Works directly with: Program, logistics and finance team
- Education: at least Bachelor Degree in Business Management / Administration or equivalent professional certificates in Human Resources Management;
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (esp. procurement systems) desirable; M&E experience preferred and knowledge of US, EU and DFID regulations helpful.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required;
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment systems, policies and procedures;
- At least three (3) years' HR management experience, preferably with an NGO and in a managerial capacity.
- Ability to translate letters, reports and meetings as required.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Development activities;
- Contracts/ pay rates;
- Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- A successful candidate will have strong diplomacy skills in managing a team with different backgrounds, abilities, and technical knowledge and will have contextual knowledge of Northern Nigeria. She/he will use effective communication and team-building techniques, have excellent organizational and strong interpersonal skills and display an even temperament and good sense of humor.
- Organizational Learning:
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application and CV's to: email@example.com with the position applied for as the subject of the email.
Note: Shortlisting will start as soon as we start receiving applications and deadline might be changed without prior notice. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 16th August, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.