IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding
solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning
research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs
of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop
quality and productivity, reduce
producer and consumer risks, and
generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization
founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA
works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam,
cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture
research partnership for a food secure future.
IITA is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: CRP Administrator/Data Manager
Ref No: IITA-HR-NRS2016-029
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist IITA CRP-Maize Focal Person in the preparation of CRP documents including annual work plans and other project documents.
- Assist in following up with scientists on timely preparation of annual reports and submission to the lead center.
- Work with Data Manager/Analyst, E-Research and the Integrated
Breeding Platform (IBP) on the development of a data management system
for storing and retrieval of information and linking it with GIS for the
maize breeding unit.
- Define and implement data standards and best practices for
Research Data Management by developing ontologies, phenotyping
protocols, quality standards, Trait dictionaries, templates and field
- Assist members of the Maize breeding program to capture data
electronically and use the BMS to manage the day to day activities of
their breeding programs.
- Perform any additional duties related to CRP and Data management assigned by the supervisor.
- Track and monitor CRP budget expenditures against approved
budgets of IITA scientists in order to provide the CRP leader with a
clear status of financial resources
- Communicate with the CRP-Maize Manager of the lead center
(CIMMYT, Mexico) and assist the CRP-Maize focal person with CRP related
management functions including the preparation of key performance
- Assume responsibility for other CRP functions such as hosting of
visitors, responding to inquiries, planning meetings, drafting letters,
scheduling appointments and coordinating travel arrangement
- Maintain coherent repository of Crop Information (genealogy,
phenotype and genotype) allowing public access and secondary use for
predictive breeding and comparative biology.
Qualifications and Experience
- MSc in Computer Science, Project Management with some background in agriculture.
- Minimum of Seven (7) years of relevant work experience in
Project Data Management, good administrative skills in general project
Ideal Candidate must possess:
- Good project management software usage knowledge
- Good project monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Excellent Written and oral communication skill.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering
letter which should address how the candidate’s
background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position
applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three
professional referees (which must include either the Head of the
applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct
Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates
Application Deadline 14th September, 2016.