The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading
crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and
supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and
natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods,
youth development, and protection and promotion of
rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in
October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
International Rescue Committee (IRC) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Nutrition Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for the vision,
strategy, design, implementation and management of IRC’s Nutrition
program in Nigeria, working in collaboration with the Humanitarian
Coordinator and Deputy Director of Programs, and directly with the
- As the focal point for Nutrition programs in Nigeria, s/he will
provide technical support to the nutrition program for project design,
proposal development and reporting, ensuring that IRC programs are of
high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working
in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program.
- S/he supervises other nutrition staff, and reports to the Humanitarian Coordinator.
- The position is based in the IRC Maiduguri field office in Borno
state but with regular trips to IRC’s nutrition programs throughout
- The Nutrition Coordinator will receive technical support from the Nutrition Technical Advisor based at IRC HQ.
- In collaboration with the other nutrition program staff in
Nigeria, oversee the implementation of nutrition projects implemented by
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all nutrition
projects are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) follow
up, including any required operational research, with technical support
from the Nutrition Information Management team in New York Nutrition
Unit and the Country Technical Advisor as needed.
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans and
design/adapt nutrition information systems including surveillance
systems for the IRC nutrition programs in Nigeria
- Provide technical support to the nutrition program for program
design, proposal development and reporting, ensuring that IRC programs
are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning,
working in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program.
- Ensure all designed Nutrition projects use the IRC theories of
change and that outcomes are evidence-driven and evidence-generated.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance of all IRC nutrition
projects. Extend technical support and supervision to the IRC’s
implementing partners as the need arises
- Ensure that nutrition programs utilize standardized protocols,
policies and guidelines, as outlined by the Federal Ministry of
Nutrition and WHO. Ensure that all nutrition activities are consistent
with established best practices.
- Promote the quality of the IRC’s nutrition programs by setting
up quality assurance mechanisms and checks in collaboration with other
- Ensure sound data collection and information management systems
are in place for ongoing performance analysis and programmatic action
based on data and identified needs.
- Provide supportive supervison to the other nutrition staff to
develop work plans to guide implementation of approved grants. Support
the Field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans
ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor
- Develop/organize training opportunities to build the capacity of
the nutrition staff and local partners in order to transfer skills.
This includes staff training in program management areas such as
reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, and supervision.
- Oversee the implementation of nutrition sector priorities, ensuring that program growth is in line with country strategic plans.
- Review all reports prepared by the nutrition staff and provide
appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are
written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for nutrition programs on a monthly basis with staff.
- Participate in the development of staff development plans for
nutrition staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the
human resources department and contribute to the training of nutrition
staff (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
Review performance evaluation of nutrition staff in the field.
Representation and Advocacy:
- In coordination with the Humanitarian Coordinator and Senior
Management Team actively develop and maintain effective working
relationships with key stakeholders in Nigeria including donors,
government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other
- Upon request by the Senior Management in Nigeria, assist in
organizing donor site visits by supporting field staff in the smooth
design and implementation of agendas and visit activities.strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
Education and Requirements
- Degree in Food Science, Nutrition or related field e.g. MBChB, Public Health, B.Sc Nutrition etc.
- Minimum 5 years experience in nutrition programs in resource
poor settings with at least 3 years in project management position,
experience managing nutrition programs; specifically in the
Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM), Infant and
Young Child Feeding (IYCF) and nutrition BCC approaches.
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint), email and database (HMIS, DHIS, EPI-Info) experience.
- Experience implementing nutrition programming in hard to reach areas/displaced communities
- Experience in capacity building and mentoring of nutrition staff
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills;
Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills; Excellent
coordination and networking skills; Excellent written and oral English
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle
pressure well, ability to improvise, be flexible, and adaptability to
- Experience working in Nigeria/West Africa a plus. Willingness to travel extensively in Nigeria
- Background in conducting situation analysis, nutrition and
nutrition assessments. Training and competency in LQAS, SPSS, SQUEAC and
SMART methodology for conducting surveys is an added advantage.
Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative research
methodologies; Knowledge, skills and experience in participatory
methods, community development and partnership.
- Experience and competency in proposal development, report writing and grant management.
Specific Security Situation/Housing:
- The Nutrition Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange).
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments.
- This is a non-accompanied position. The Nutrition Coordinator will live in shared housing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply