The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s
worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their
lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers
lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee
from war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S.
cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted
and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization
responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field
office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices
in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in
October 2015. IRC has ECHO, OFDA, and Gates funds to respond to health,
nutrition, GBV, and WASH activities. In late 2014 and early 2015, IRC
received additional funds from SV, SIDA, USAID, and UNICEF to carry out
education, child protection, general protection, emergency food
distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions to newly displaced
IDPs. In late 2015 into early 2016, IRC received Swiss and UNHCR funds
for additional emergency response humanitarian-focused programming in NE
In Borno state, there is a humanitarian crisis and WASH and shelter are among the highest priority needs.
JOB TITLE: Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager will ensure the implementation
of quality Environmental Health (EH) projects Borno state. S/he
supervises other EH staff, and reports to the Environmental Health
Coordinator. The position is based in the IRC Maiduguri field office in
- Manage all EH programs at the Maiduguri Office, ensuring timely and
effective implementation to meet the project outcomes with a special
focus on the emergency grants.
- Provide supervison and leadership to the EH staff.
- Develop work plans to guide and monitor implementation of approved
grants and support the field teams in the implementation and monitoring
of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC
made to the donor and community.
- Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for EH programs on a monthly basis with staff.
- Participate in the development of staff development plans for EH
staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human
resources department and contribute to the training of EH staff
(mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
- Develop/organize training opportunities to build the capacity of the
EH staff and local partners in order to transfer skills. This includes
staff training in program management areas such as reporting, budgeting,
monitoring, evaluation, supervision and emergency response.
- Review all reports prepared by the EH staff and provide appropriate
feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and
submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Lead the development of appropriate project management tools to
plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on
the utilization of project resources.
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all EH projects are
met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) follow up, including
any required operational research.
REPRESENTATION AND ADVOCACY
- In coordination with the EH Coordinator and Senior Management Team,
actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key
stakeholders in Nigeria including WASH Cluster, donors, government
actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
- Work with the sector coordinator to design Sanitation and Shelter
structures BOQs that are sound and follow SPHERE standards and ensure
that structures are culturally appropriated and accepted.
- Lead the sector teams in the field to comply with appropriate processes for infrastructure improvement
- Guide the project teams to design and deliver hygiene promotion
activities that are based upon effective formative research and adapted
to the local context.
- Together with the sector coordinator, lead on planning of all WASH
and Shelter project activities setting high quality performance targets
and ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, donor
guidelines and SHPERE standards
- Ensure that the selection of the project beneficiaries is based on
approved criteria and strategies, ensuring beneficiaries are consulted
and their views taken into account at all stages of the program.
- Ensure that the program incorporates effective gender strategies for equity and inclusion across program delivery.
- Ensure that synergies with the health and nutrition teams are created for an integrated program.
- Ensure that the teams are preparing their activity implementation plans
- Ensure that protection issues are fully considered throughout the
project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being
included in decision making for all WASH and Shelter issues.
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Public Health, Hydrogeology or similar.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with INGOs in the field of WASH
and with implementation of water supply, sanitation, construction,
hygiene or infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated experience in working in emergency settings
- Proven strong ability to provide technical assistance and expert
advice to staff and partners in infrastructure and related fields.
- Experience in project management, planning, supervision, quality assurance and reporting
- Experience working in Nigeria/West Africa a plus.
- Background in situation analysis, WASH assessments and program implementation.
- Knowledge, skills and experience in participatory methods, community development and partnership.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint
SPECIFIC SECURITY SITUATION/HOUSING
The Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager will be based in Maiduguri.
The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE
with the security level at 3 (orange). The candidate should be prepared
to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a
non-accompanied position. The Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager will
live in shared housing.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles
outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are
Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values,
the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from
Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment,
Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply