9 Aug 2016
Investment Executive Job in a Leading Development Finance Company
companies and private funders. We have on-the-ground local teams in 13 countries in Africa and the Middle East and have done over 500 investments in local small and growing businesses so far, sustaining more than 25,000 jobs.
Our client invests in start-up and growing businesses at the base of the SME pyramid. These owner- operated businesses typically lack track record and collateral but are deemed viable with the appropriate business support. We invest through the integrated provision of business skills, market linkages and risk capital and in ways that are financially sustainable. Our investments are typically structured as medium-term risk capital typically through a self- liquidating ‘mezzanine’ instrument with repayment linked to the cash flow of the investee. We manage risk through on-the ground teams and proven investment and support processes and have adopted a fully integrated approach to responsible investment, with ESG considerations at each step of the investment process to maximize impact and mitigate risk.
Our client has identified the urgent need to recruit competent and suitably qualified individuals to fill the specified position below:
Job Title: Investment Executive
- The key purpose of the role is to manage the company’s fund and program activities in a country, ensuring that quality standards are adhered to and performance targets are met.
- The IE is the key conductor of performance in the country and he/she actively leads and manages the investment teams to deliver on fund and program mandates and in so doing deliver the required key stakeholder outputs to customers, clients, staff and shareholders.
- Furthermore, the Investment Executive positions and represents the company in the country, effectively executes brand and customer strategies in country.
- The position reports to the Investment Director of the region.
- Within the organisation, the position has primary working relationships with the in-country investment team, with functional managers and with the company leadership team.
- Externally, the position projects a favourable organisational image by ensuring (all round) value-adding investments, brand building and visibility / recognition.
Accountabilities (Fund and program management)
- Develop annual fund activity plans and maintain fund models that meet fund/program mandate criteria
- Quality and timely reporting to investors and capital providers
- Ensure fund/ program compliance, as per governance schedules and mandates
- Maintain relationships with fund/ program investor representatives
- Support investor due diligence processes
- Timeliness and quality of annual business plans and quarterly LT and Fund and program reporting
- Number of compliance issues
- Provide clear direction to the investment teams on the company and funds’ business objectives, translating and prioritizing into business performance measures.
- Ensure effective implementation of the the company model in the country including approved policies and procedures.
- Manage and ensure that value-adding business support is provided to clients and report actions implemented, results achieved and challenges faced
- Ensure compliance in the country with operations risk and rigour requirements
- Provide expert support to investment teams, assisting them in managing transactions
- Per fund mandate meet the annual Fund Activity Plan:
- Disbursement value
- UPI %
- Realization %
- Gross IRR
- Fund manager bonus paid (where applicable)
- Evaluation of fund/ program by customer base (investors and other funders).
- Develop country business plan and budget that meets the company profitability and productivity standards
- Manage and control revenue and operational expenses in line with the approved budget, report on variances and implement corrective actions
- Report financial and investment results on a monthly basis to Leadership team, including variance analysis and plans to address variances.
- Country profitability
- Cost to disburse and manage 1 USD (exgroup support)
- Disbursement per IM
- Recruit, set expectations, develop and retain performing local investment team
- Participate in interview panels for investment staff
- Coordinate delivery of effective support services to the countries and manage SLAs
- Ensure local offices are appropriate and in line with quality standards
- Liaise with other departments and support functions to ensure cross organisational efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure that team is correctly staffed, have correct skills and undergoes continuous development
- Manage the company’s performance management system and addresses poor performance.
- Motivates staff and recognize and reward excellence
- Ensure a Training and Development plan is implemented to address competence gaps
- Performance level of investment team (% of A, B and C players)
- Time to fill vacancies and time span for new recruits to perform
- % of Training and Development plan implemented
- Internal Feedback on value add (FC, IDs, IMs, LT)
- Employee satisfaction rate for region
- Turnover rate of staff
- Develop effective partnerships with local SME stakeholders
- Be a thought leader in the country on SGB impact investment
- Identify and support linkages/ opportunities within the client database for client expansion
- Ensure that market analysis of target customer trends and competitor offerings are integrated into fund and country business plans
- Identify and develop new business opportunities
- Instil a client centric culture via an effective client relationship management system
- Deal with difficult clients and complaints
- Analyse business environment and propose and assist in developing new customer and client solutions
- The company brand awareness and value # of positive reviews in media
- Conversion ratio application - screening
- Average investment process time line (application – disbursement) disbursed deals
- Annual expansion plan outcomes (new countries etc)
- Number of client complaints
- % Client satisfaction
- # of local partnerships
Share knowledge, experience and best practice with the group
- Make quality product, process, procedure and tool suggestions to improve the company service delivery and performance
- Ensure compliance to Group Calendar, governance schedules and reporting standards
- Relevancy (Quality and quantity) of proposals
- Active involvement on the company and group communication contribution
- LT feedback
- The company is a mission-driven for profit development finance organization that is run on strong commercial principles. We recruit people that believe in the power of capital and market development to do bring about positive change in local communities. Our client employs people who are passionate about our sector and what we do, strong on ethics and committed to the success and sustainability of our clients and of the company.
- Learning is part of the the company culture. Each employee, at every level, is conscious of the need to continuously raise her/his knowledge and skills. The willingness to learn is therefore a non-negotiable condition of employment.
- The company works with local entrepreneurs who are looking to professionalize and grow their businesses. They support them with practical, specific and relevant business advice. This requires us to be accessible, down-to-earth, pragmatic, hands-on, professional, respectful and honest. The company aims to develop long term relationships with its employees. We invest in our employees for the long term and offer a solid career in an organization that is at the forefront of impact investment.
- Investment or finance experience in SME investment, with a 7+ years of a demonstrated track record in investing or financing SMEs
- Good credit management skills, as evidenced by passing OMEGA program
- Proven deal origination skills and a well-developed network with the local SME business and finance
- Written and spoken language fluency in English essential.
- Advanced Degree required. An MBA is preferred, as well as CFA, CIMA or ACCA.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
Leading & Supervising:
- Provides others with a clear direction;
- Motivates and empowers others;
- Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching;
- Recruits staff of a high calibre
- Sets appropriate standards of behaviour;
- Delegates work appropriately and fairly;
- Makes a strong personal impression on others;
- Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating;
- Promotes ideas on behalf of self or others;
- Manages conflict;
- Makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others
- Sets clearly defined objectives;
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing
- Identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks;
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction;
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity;
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity;
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way;
- Consistently achieves project goals
- Plans activities
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary;
- Identifies development strategies needed to achieve career goals and makes use of developmental or training opportunities;
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Speaks clearly and fluently;
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly;
- Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence;
- Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback;
- Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise;
- Develops job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development;
- Shares expertise and knowledge with others;
- Uses technology to achieve work objectives;
- Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions
- Establishes good relationships with customers and staff;
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organisation;
- Relates well to people at all levels;
- Manages conflict;
- Uses humour appropriately to enhance relationships with others
- Identifies business opportunities for the organisation;
- Demonstrates financial awareness;
- Controls costs and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value
- Entrepreneurial & keeps up to date with competitor information
- The company offers competitive compensation for the local development finance sector that will be commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a comprehensive package that includes an annual bonus target on achievement of individual and institutional goals.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline 19th August, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.