Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies, operating
in more than 70 countries. Our aim is to meet the energy needs of
society in ways that are economically, socially and environmentally
viable, now and in the future.
Our focus on innovation and technology
has made us a leading manufacturer, distributor and marketer of refined
petroleum products and has us ranked amongst the top most innovative
companies in the world.
Shell is recruiting to fill the job position of:
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Auto req ID: 31694BR
As Legal Counsel, this role will be accountable to the Team Lead – Environmental litigation in Nigeria for the following:
- Management of assigned litigation matters by providing cost
effective and efficient litigation legal services to meet the litigation
and dispute resolution needs and priorities of the company including:
- Management and risk evaluation of litigation and provision of
advice and opinion to legal and business managers with respect to
litigation and sundry issues being managed;
- Developing a litigation strategy in each of the relevant
assigned litigations including management of legacy litigation arising
from spill related or pollution related issues
- Management of interface with external counsel to ensure the provision of efficient, cost-effective and result oriented services.
Implementation of the company’s litigation management framework including:
- Reporting of significant litigation risks within the applicable control framework;
- Maintenance of the matter management database of all litigation matters assigned in the litigation management system;
- Promoting litigation risk awareness in the relevant Businesses being supported
- Will be involved in the provision of relevant litigation related
reports and interface with relevant teams in the company including the
Finance team and the external auditors regarding legal contingent
liabilities and provisioning arising from litigation matters;
- Providing required support and advice in communications with
external parties to ensure that Company’s right and position in ongoing
or threatened litigation matters are preserved
- This position requires a seasoned lawyer with minimum of 5 years
hands-on management of high-level and complex litigation matters
- Excellent litigation, analytical, negotiation, and problem
solving skills with ability to spot legal issues and develop cost
effective legal solutions.
- Capability to learn new areas of law and show flexibility and
pragmatism in deploying legal skills to achieve business objectives.
- Result driven self-starter with good business partnering skills and customer focus
- Applicant must have been called to Bar
- Good understanding of the Petroleum industry in general and its
legal framework in Nigeria including familiarity with common law
principles and contract law is required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability
to interface with Senior Management and External counsel with due
regard for the needs of the business.
- High level of professional integrity and strong leadership and
people management skills with capacity to work independently and as part
of the team
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize multiple competing activities and remain positive in challenging circumstances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th August, 2016.