Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to
populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding
from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian
programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to
assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection,
livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in
Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied
assistance in a wider geographic area. Mercy Corps plans to implement a
program in 3 states “ISING” or Investing in the safety and integrity of
Nigerian girls targeting adolescent girls and boys affected by the
conflict in the Northeast.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Livelihoods Program Officer (ISING)
Location: Biu – Borno State
General Position Summary
- The Livelihood program officer will be responsible for
supporting activities in the intervention communities of ISING program.
S/He will be responsible for supporting the implementation of strategic,
impactful, and high-quality programming.
- The project officer will report to the ISING Program Manager and work collaboratively with fellow program staff.
- S/he will work extensively with other sectors of the project to
ensure that all activities are implemented successfully and timely.
Essential Job Functions
- Support ISING project management and administration of
livelihood related activities including beneficiary identification,
distribution site selection, planning and implementing the
distributions, working with partners and facilitating monitoring.
- Contribute to all ISING project field work, including
identifying target locations, beneficiaries and vendors, participating
in distributions, monitoring and supporting beneficiaries during the
shopping periods, coordinating with community leaders and other
stakeholders and other field-based tasks as assigned.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Contribute to effective program reporting, monitoring and
evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination
with the other program staff.
- Ensure the cohesion of the overall livelihoods approach through a
close working relationship with the livelihoods SPO and the
- Contribute to applying well researched and thought out interventions to restart livelihood activities.
- Lead where necessary community meetings to identify Livelihoods priorities related to ISING project.
- Mitigation where necessary maintaining a clear impartial profile
for Mercy Corps in confusions or disputes between
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in
such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize
its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, protection
and capacity building into all livelihood activities as appropriate.
- Conduct monitoring and data collection as directed by the ISING
Program Manager, assisting with specific surveys or assessments as
- Contribute to providing the ISING Program Manager with
up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and
coordinates beneficiary lists and numbers with different stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in relevant field required; MA/MS/MBA or equivalent preferred.
- 3 years of experience working on the development,
implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based
international development or humanitarian program; general program
management experience required.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- Prior experience implementing distributions is required,
preferably in a non-camp setting. Experience with cash distributions
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Experience with conducting assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a
diverse range of local and international government officials, local
civil society organizations, other international organizations, the
media and the public.
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally
s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency
programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, including remote
management and capacity development.
- S/he is a problem solver, who is adept in successfully dealing with issues of complexity.
- S/he is an active listener and contributor, working to create a strong team share ideas and learn
How To Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline 29th August, 2016.