Talentstone Finance – Our client is a financial sector non-governmental
body. It seeks to support increased access to financial services by
making the market for financial services work better for the poor, and
by improving regulation in Nigeria.
To further achieve the aforementioned objective, our client has
identified the urgent need to recruit competent and suitably qualified
individuals to fill the specified position below:
Job Title: PMU Project Manager
Location: Abuja (Candidates must be willing to relocate. Relocation will be covered by the client)
Reports to: Digital Financial Services (DFS) Platform Manager
Seven out of ten Nigerian adults are unbanked, and nearly half of the
adult population is considered financially excluded. Some banking
clients have to travel long distances to reach a branch, resulting in
the travel cost sometimes being higher than the amount the client wanted
to deposit on that day.
Digital Financial Services (DFS) has the potential to expand the
delivery of basic financial services to the poor or underbanked through
new technologies like mobile phones, computers, electronic money and new
channels such as retail agents.
- The Project Manager will be responsible for managing the
planning and execution of projects and activities supporting the
deployment of Digital Financial Services (DFS) platform initiative.
- Because not all of the key deliverables will be created under
the direct supervision of the PM, it will be important that the PM is
able to build strong, mutually respectful partnerships with
stakeholders, manage expectations, and ensure the appropriate level of
communication for multiple audiences.
- The PM understands the initiative environment and shares stakeholder perspectives with the project team.
- This will include the successful digitization of multiple
priority payment streams with accompanying payment system changes,
critical to driving overall financial inclusion in Nigeria.
- The Project Manager must coordinate contributions from many
participants to ensure projects deliver the expected scope and business
value, are completed on budget and on schedule and are delivered with
- Develop and coordinate project tasks, manage timelines, maintain
project plans to meet implementation goals and communicate status of
project work streams;
- Facilitate meetings and communications throughout the project
lifecycle to build project momentum and ensure transparency of relevant
project information to appropriate audiences. Establish and nurture
relationships with project stakeholders and sponsors;
- Responsible for detecting potential issues, escalating and
implementing solutions at the project level when there are issues that
may delay the timeline, impact budget or outcomes;
- Provide support to DFS platform team effort to extract learnings and deliverables for use by broader audience;
- Liaise with Project sponsors and Project Secretariat to
facilitate development of grants and contracts needed to drive projects.
- Work closely with program managers and project teams within
relevant public and private sector institutions, reviewing key
deliverables in line with approved project plans;
- Coordinate with people managers, partners, vendors and project
sponsorship to ensure projects are appropriately resourced and/or tools
are effectively managed to achieve project objectives;
- Champion the need for and share best practices for change and
change management approach, including identification of
interdependencies and impact;
Competencies & Skills Requirements
Core Knowledge and Skills:
- Understands the business benefits of the project and the linkage
between the project/program goals and organizational strategy and
- Solid knowledge and expertise utilizing project management and
change management frameworks for successful project delivery across the
- working in developing economies and managing complex technical projects essential;
- Understanding of mobile payment solutions, especially in
developing markets, and payment system actors, infrastructure, and
- Effective as a collaborator in complex internal and external
organizations. Strong at synthesizing and presenting complex information
for a variety of stakeholders;
Internal & External Contacts:
- Manage day to day relationship with internal and external
colleagues, grantees, and close partners. Identify and develop
relationships in support of program work;
- Problems are often complex and require research and careful review of options and communication.
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a First Degree and/or professional certifications in
relevant technical fields or other social science disciplines from a
- Minimum of Ten (10) years’ cognate work experience within the
financial or technology sector, seven (7) of which should be in a
similar function at senior management level;
- Demonstrated proficiency managing analytically rigorous initiatives;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- This position attracts a competitive compensation and benefits packages.
- The position is for a 2-year initial contract period, renewable
subject to the project’s life cycle and per candidates’ performances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download a pre-interview questionnaire below and send the completed questionnaire with a copy of their updated resume in Microsoft Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org cc: email@example.com quoting the Job Title and Reference Code for the position in the subject.