The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military
Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is a global organization dedicated to advancing
military medical research. We serve military, medical, academic and
government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent
that benefit members of the armed forces and
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Laboratory Director
Job Number: 210874
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
- The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military
Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is seeking a Director of Research – Nigeria for
the HIV Research Program (MHRP) located in Abuja, Nigeria. HJF provides
scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
- Serve as a member of the WRP-N Management Team and direct/oversee daily operations of the WRP-N research laboratory.
- Maintain/advance Subject Matter Expert of regulatory agency
requirements for research laboratories (i.e. College of American
Pathologists accreditation, (CAP), FDA regulatory requirements , Good
Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP), and Quality Assurance/Quality
Control monitoring (quality)).
- Develop/monitor budgets for laboratory operations.
- Ensure sufficient manpower for execution of research laboratory missions.
- Maintain/foster communications with internal and external partners, collaborators, and senior leadership.
- Coordinate and direct all work of the research laboratory to
ensure that all laboratory testing is executed in line with national and
- Provide managerial oversight to laboratory related staff.
- Provide technical advice and analysis for improving laboratory
services with particular emphasis on quality provision of services and
support of research activities/initiatives.
- Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
- Maintain/advance state-of-art technologies/methodologies for
serologic, virologic, molecular, flow cytometric, safety laboratory
testing, clinical and therapeutic monitoring for diagnostic,
surveillance, vaccine, and therapeutic initiatives.
- Identify and expand intramural and extramural collaborations for clinical translation research efforts.
- Attend professional scientific meetings and actively participate in exchange of report of findings.
- Contribute to the peer reviewed scientific literature/community
through peer reviewed manuscripts, abstracts, and oral and written
- Completes other projects as needed.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements
- PhD in related scientific discipline
- 6 – 10 years of hands-on experience in performing/directing
clinical laboratory safety tests, implementation of laboratory quality
assurance management plans, verification/validation of assays,
techniques, procedures in a highly regulated environment.
- Familiarity with Good Clinical Laboratory Practices, College of
American Pathologist, and Food and Drug Administration accreditation
- Experience with multi-site, international clinical trials preferred.
- The incumbent will be expected to relocate to Abuja, Nigeria.
- Job performance requires ability to move between laboratory areas.
- The individual must be able to sit for lengthy periods to
include writing reports, standard operating procedures, plans, policies,
and performing data analysis at a computer terminal.
- Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time, locally and internationally.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration:
- Certification by a board approved by US Health and Human Services preferred, but not required.
- Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls:
- Supervises technical support staff
- Laboratory environment; may require working evenings and weekends; may involve working with bio hazardous materials.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of performance of clinical and endpoint
laboratory tests, including choice of instruments/equipment and reagents
and interpretation and limitation of test results;
- Understanding/knowledge of principle of clinical laboratory Quality Assurance and proficiency testing procedures;
- Excellent organization, computer, and written and verbal
communication skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and
- Extensive knowledge of College of American Pathologist (CAP), US
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Good Clinical Laboratory
Practices, and accreditation requirements;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply