Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children
in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United
States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats
children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by
improving their health,
education and economic opportunities. In
times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children
recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each
year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities
around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work
to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Finance Manager
Location: Borno, Nigeria
- The Humanitarian Finance Manager will provide the primary
financial management inputs in emergency response programmes, and
ongoing support to develop best practice emergency financial management
procedures and processes.
- The role has three main aspects to it: lead the emergencies
finance team in Save the Children responses; capacity building finance
and non-finance staff in their financial professional development and
contributing to the development and advancement of policy and
procedures; providing short term interim financial management and/or
capacity building support to ongoing emergencies, Fragile States and/or
- The main responsibilities of this post will vary according to the terms of reference for each assignment.
- The post holder is likely to undertake senior deployments such as Emergency Senior Finance & Grants Manager.
Key Areas of Accountability
Emergency Response: Lead the emergencies /humanitarian finance team in Save the Children Nigeria responses:
- Provide strategic finance support to the AOM/Head of
Humanitarian Response including Master Budget development and
monitoring, and advice on how to best to utilise a programme’s funding
- Ensure preparation of donor financial reports and proposal budgets.
- Ensure all donor requirements are complied with and reports are prepared on time with complete audit trial.
- Recruit, train and manage finance staff on the response team
and/or work closely with existing country finance staff & ensure a
good handover at end of mission.
- Ensure that all new staff into the response are adequately
inducted in SC emergencies and financial systems, and donors’ compliance
requirements consistent with their various roles.
- Ensure that SC’s commitment to improving quality and
accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, through reference to the
Sphere Project Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards, the NGO Code
of Conduct, and other relevant tools.
- Ensure that at all stages of the response the control framework
of the operation is consistent with the situation and ensure that
necessary risks are taken knowingly with appropriate mitigating actions.
- Ensure correct level of budget authority exists within the humanitarian awards.
- Support the AOM/HPM in management of financial aspects of budget development for new proposals
- Ensure appropriate and adequate emergency finance and grants
procedures are detailed in the Country Office Emergency Preparedness
Plan in order to enable rapid scale up
- Ensure budget holders understand their responsibilities (e.g., through training)
- Ensure sub-offices receive adequate support to operate efficient
accounting systems, including timely receipt of monthly budget variance
analysis by budget holders, timely answers to queries and scheduling
tasks and deadlines
- Provide a high standard of financial accounting management,
ensuring compliance to local statutory law and donors regulations and
consistent with SC accounting policies, procedures and tools.
- Participate in the annual budget development
- Support budget holders in the proposal budget costings, creating Reporting Templates and DEAs
- Support budget holders in the understanding of budget reports including phasing and re-phasing of budgets
- Support Finance Director in the development of standard costings for country programme
- Review monthly transactions with Budget Holders and provide comments to FD.
Financial Accounting, Reporting, and Control:
- Manage the Humanitarian awards financial systems and provide the
budget holders a monthly update on the budget variance analysis and led
the monthly finance meeting
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly
reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control including:
- Accounting and management information systems;
- Responsible for checking and verifying the food voucher e-payment to beneficiaries on all humanitarian cash transfer awards.
- Coordinate submission of control reports, respond to findings
and recommend resolutions or action plans for the NE field offices.
- Lead and participate in the development of finance policies and
procedures to be able to maintain a well-financially controlled
environment in both development and emergency contexts.
- Coordinate and assist FD during any internal or external audits
- Cash and cash flow management and control in particular gain/losses on currency exchange;
- Expenditure procedures, especially around procurement;
- Documentation of all controls and procedures;
- Finance training for staff in the field and partners as necessary;
- Prepare and Monitor accurate and timely submission of financial
reports and attachments to members, donors and government regulatory
- Monitor completion of financial reports for awards/contracts.
Work with awards focal persons to ensure proper accounting and closing
of books upon receipt of completed reports and documents from NE
- Provide guidance to finance and non-finance staff and coordinate efforts to ensure compliance with donor requirements
- Ensure timely and accurate information is provided through Award Management systems
- Develop sub-grantees through training and capacity building
- Ensure that donor financial reports and additive reports align
- Coordinate the release of donor fund summaries from the members
to ensure accurate and systematic accounting of grant transactions
Audit & Evaluation:
- Assist with the Internal and External audit preparations including putting together relevant documentation and TOR for the Audit
- Coordinate all SC awards audits and ensure complete implementation of recommendations
- Ensures humanitarian grants audits are conducted effective
- Follow up on audit issues and provide appropriate response with support from Director of Finance
Capacity Building: Coaching humanitarian finance and non-finance staff
in their financial professional development and contributing to the
development and advancement of policy and procedures:
- Support the Finance team to strengthen the non-finance staff
knowledge and capacity to manage finance and grants by providing,
induction, training and coaching consistent with their various roles and
- Support the FD to ensure the recruitment, training, and
promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate
professional development opportunities for staff incorporates staff
development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team
- Establish result based system and follow up
- Ensure adequate segregation of finance duty within Area Office
and Manage the performance of all Direct reports in the finance work
area through: ◦Effective use of the Performance Management System
including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing
feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
- Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans
- Contribute to ongoing finance policy revisions and maintain and
continue the ongoing development of the Finance Department’s emergencies
- Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Finance: ◦Support the FD to ensure appropriate staffing within finance
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role in an emergency
- Manage finance team; define expectations, provide leadership and
technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
Support to ongoing emergencies, Fragile States and/or country/regional programmes:
- Provide interim support to a country or regional programme which
lacks finance resources in various roles (Country Finance and/or Award
Manager, Regional Finance Manager, Audit Officer etc).
- Attend to Financial related queries from Staff/BH
- Attend to financial queries related to awards administration
from Donors/Member, Budget Holders, Regional Office and the Centre
- Participate in Year End & on-going processes relating to
awards status including final reconciliation of donor disbursements
& awards expenditure, confirmation of debt and income carry forward
positions, awards closures
- Upon request, provide country programme finance and none-finance
staff with finance induction, training and coaching into SC policies,
procedures and tools and on major grants compliance issues.
- Represent Finance at Procurement Committee Meetings
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Accounting/ Finance /Economics /Business
Administration or other relevant professional qualification with 5-7
years working experience in relevant field.
- Extensive experience, including first phase responses, with NGOs
in an international emergency environment or in fragile states with
increasing responsibilities including a proven experience of
establishing and running a field finance office.
- Knowledge of the requirements and experience managing grants
from the major emergency donors including budgeting, eligibility issues,
compliance management, and reporting.
- Experience of engaging with donors at country strategy levels
- Experience of and well developed skills in staff management and
supervision. Proven strong coaching and capacity building skills.
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the
ability to organise a demanding workload comprised of diverse and
challenging tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in managing multicultural teams.
- Ability to translate complex, technical and financial issues into a language understandable by non-finance staff
- Experience of managing or supporting programmes in each stage of
the project cycle, including development of funding proposals,
budgeting, technical and financial monitoring in the context of
grants/restricted funding sources.
- Thorough understanding of interdepartmental relationships, dynamics and functioning in an overseas programme setting
- Proven track record of active contribution to a senior
management team, and providing strategic support across multiple sectors
- Good attention to detail and analytical skills
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, financial systems).
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Proven experience in financial management and producing
appropriate management information to support strategy development and
decision-making by budget holders and programme implementers
- Proven training experience to all levels of staff, both informal (on the job coaching) and formal (structured training courses).
- Proven analytical skills and ability to translate analysis into
appropriate, feasible and practical implementation plans and goals.
- An understanding of development work in order to communicate
effectively with Members/Donors and programme staff on funding sources
and programme issues
- Experience with Save the Children financial Policies, procedures
and systems and overseas accounting software (including Agresso, SUN
- Experience of Project Management, M&E Management or Funding Coordination would be a appreciated
- Fluent in English and Hausa
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st August, 2016.