24 Aug 2016
Supply Chain Logistics Assessment Specialist Job at USAID
analysis of potential, emerging, and/or evolving food security issues in order to inform decisions and guide response. More information on FEWS NET can be found at www.fews.net.
Chemonics International Inc., based in Washington, DC, has been contracted by USAID to manage FEWS NET technical and field activities. In an effort to understand current and to foresee future market anomalies, the FEWS NET project relies on a broadly defined Markets and Trade Knowledge Base, which includes market context documents (Market Fundamentals Reports), special reports, and databases of historical market information (including production, food balance sheets, and prices). The Markets and Trade Knowledge Base largely serve as baselines, against which to assess the existence and extent of market-based anomalies that could contribute to food insecurity. Most recently, FEWS NET has been tasked with also providing USAID with market response decision support, including but not limited to assessing the impact of potential food assistance programs on a given country's local economy. Over the remainder of the current contract, FEWS NET III plans to produce Market Fundamentals Reports for up to 10 countries, globally.
USAID is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Supply Chain Logistics Assessment Specialist
The main activities of the supply chain and logistics assessment specialist will include finalizing a field assessment agenda and methodological approach, reviewing any logistics assessments in the assessment focus country conducted in the past five to ten years, and carry out logistics capacity assessments. In collaboration with a research team made up of Washington-based and regional FEWS NET staff and local consultants, the logistics assessment specialist will also:
- Work with FEWS NET staff to understand USAID information needs and define assessment-specific research questions.
- Draft sections of the Market Fundamentals report, with guidance from the Home Office Technical team.
- Provide general support to the team to ensure the successful completion of the Market Fundamentals and market response analysis reports. This may involve making phone calls to set up interviews, data entry, as well as other forms of ad hoc logistics and technical support over the duration of the contract
- Review existing guidance and methodologies used to assess broadly defined logistics infrastructure access and capacity (including port, railway, roads, warehouses, waterways, depending on the context)
- Review and analyze all existing secondary data and reports related to infrastructure access and capacity
- Carry out field assessment
- Applicants should hold at least a Master's Degree in Economics or a closely related field and should possess extensive experience in agricultural market analysis and/or food security analysis.
- Experience with major donor organizations or research institutions involved in food assistance or food security analysis (e.g., USAID, USDA, WFP, IFPRI, universities) is highly preferred.
- Experience facilitating technical workshops and/or focus group interviews.
- Professional proficiency in English and French is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with international and multidisciplinary team members with minimal supervision.
- Past professional experience in West Africa is highly desirable.
- Applications should have direct work experience with the implementation or research of local and regional procurement, cash, and voucher programming is highly desirable. (USAID Food for Peace, USDA, WFP, etc.)
- Experience conducting external evaluations of food assistance programs is highly desirable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This position is based in West Africa with opportunity for travel throughout West Africa and open to all qualified candidates eligible to work in the region.
- Please note the position title in the subject line (Ex. "Supply Chain Logistics Assessment Specialist"). No telephone inquiries.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.