The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent
medical aid organization based in Dakar, Senegal. ALIMA has three
principal areas of expertise: providing medical care in humanitarian
crises, supporting the development of national medical organizations,
and conducting operational research to bring medical innovation to the
Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated over 1,500,000 patients in
34 medical projects in some of the most challenging humanitarian
contexts in the world. ALIMA’s team has grown from seven co-founders to
1,500 staff, its budget from 250,000 euros to 24 million in 2015, its
network of medical partners from two to five, and its research
activities from pilot phases to conducting the first large-scale
clinical trial of anti-Ebola treatment in Guinea.
ALIMA is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Mission (Male / Female)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Mission and Main Activities
- The Head of Mission is the representative of ALIMA in Nigeria at Federal Level as well as at local level in Borno State.
- He/She is here to manage the Nigeria mission, by ensuring that
the functioning of Monguno and Maiduguri projects is matching ALIMA’s
main objective in Borno State: to save lives in such a high mortality
rate context of emergency.
- The Chief of Mission reports directly to the Emergency Department Manager in the Headquarters.
- Within the following frame, the HoM is independent and responsible to define and achieve the following operational objectives:
We want to provide and ensure an appropriate medical response in emergency:
- A permanent monitoring of the political, humanitarian and health
situation of the state (+ surrounding states in Nigeria + surrounding
- Analysis of the consequences of an intervention of ALIMA (risks, constraints, priorities)
- A rational use of means and resources to carry out emergency projects
- Projects implementation supervision
We want to be known and accepted by the population as well as concerned authorities in Nigeria:
- Negotiation/facilitation of collaborations and agreements between ALIMA and local authorities in Nigeria
- Permanent follow up of potential emergencies in the Northern part of Nigeria
- An active and developed network in Nigeria
- Key persons/institutions (information, exploratory missions)
We want to protect our beneficiaries and our team from the high and volatile insecurity:
- Safety of staff : security policies, analyze of external risks and threats, updates of relative events, good practices
- Support of the Emergency Department Manager
Our 4-month presence has shown us how worrying the medical situation of
Nigerian populations in Borno State is: we want to deploy the necessary
means to stay:
- Beneficiaries oriented action.
- Project proposals according to the needs on field.
- Operational reports
- Projects evolution evaluation
- Potential for opening new projects
- Internal and external communication policy for the project
We need a solid and cohesive team on the field, to provide the best and in time care:
- Team management
- Climate of trust and collaboration
- ALIMA’s team management following the needs (so objectives) on the field
- Leading, briefing/debriefing, coaching, etc. of team members
Experienced and Skills
- University degree in Medicine, Public Health or Paramedical, International Relations or any other relevant education
- People management
- Negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Language: English is mandatory (written, read, spoken), French is an asset.
- Project management experiences with international medical NGO, at least two years
- Experience in Security Management
- Strategic vision
- Contract term: contract under French law, contract length: 3 to 6 months
- Position to be filled: between 15th of September and 15th of October
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month
after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
- Accommodation costs
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and covering letter to: email@example.com with the reference “Nigeria Head of Mission” in the subject line.
Application Deadline 15th September, 2016.