United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries
attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the
protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Local Security Assistant
Job ID: 5524
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Security
Adviser (CSA), or the Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO), the
Local Security Assistant assists in the implementation of security
operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and
security for UN personnel in the country or in the region of assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Assists CSA/FSCO in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country;
- Organizes and delivers training courses on security awareness and preparedness;
- Assists in ensuring residential (Minimum Operating Residential
Security Standards – MORSS)and office safety, and security preparedness;
- Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/FSCO
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists;
- Supports the CSA/FSCO with the assessment of Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for the duty station;
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets;
1.) Assists the CSA/FSCO in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host
government security organizations and/or personnel, including national
and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well
as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the
area of operation;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at SMT meetings, in the absence of the CSA/SCO.
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and
ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that
may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the CSA/FSCO;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United
Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in
the absence of the SA, as required;
2.) Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
3.) Assists the CSA/SCO in monitoring compliance with
Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) established for the duty
station. Also assists with the compilation of data required for the
MOSS Self-Assessment Programme.
4.) Assists in reporting security incidents affecting
UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security
reports, such as the Security Incident Report, the Security Assessments
and the Quarterly Incident Report.
5.) Provides support in organizing and conducting
training courses on security awareness and preparedness, and providing
security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security
briefings, as required.
6.) Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/FSCO:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens
telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes
and/or notes at meetings.
7.) Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CSA/FSCO:
- Conducts security evaluations and provides advice on security
measures for the residences (Minimum Operating Residential Security
Standards – MORSS) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats
to staff safety and security;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security
at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and
efficient use of the guard force.
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the accurate and timely
implementation of the overall UN security programme at the country
- Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the
Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for
- Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen
and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity
and respect for diversity
- Communication: Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish
priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan
with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis
situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
- Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer
new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and
promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. University Degree desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years’ experience in security, preferably in the military or
police context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN
system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 12th September, 2016.