The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding
and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and
extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty,
increase economic growth, and improve quality of life.
To ensure that
countries can access the best global expertise and help generate
cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to
improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable
results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and
improving access to development information and data.
World Bank is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Investment Officer
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
- IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global
development institution focused on the private sector in emerging
markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades
of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY15,
our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18
billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the
private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more
information, visit www.ifc.org.
- IFC is seeking to recruit an Investment Officer to work closely
with other investment staff to support the development, execution and
monitoring of investments across the gas-to-power value chain for its
Infrastructure and Natural Resources Group in the Africa region.
- This group is responsible for sourcing and executing investment
transactions in power, transport, utilities and natural resources
(upstream exploration and production, midstream (pipelines, LNG, LPG),
downstream gas distribution) in the Africa region.
- In addition to traditional investment activities, the Investment
Officer will also support IFC in establishing and building
relationships with local entrepreneurs across the gas-to-power value
chain. The position provides an opportunity to obtain company, project
and sector experience in a priority, growing and high impact area.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The selected candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team
focused on identifying investment opportunities, executing transactions
and actively managing portfolio projects.
- In this role, your objective will be to maximize the impact of
IFC’s intervention and contribute to the development of our countries of
operation by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable
investments for IFC.
- Assist in the formulation, monitoring and updating of IFC’s
gas-to-power engagement in Nigeria working with IFC’s regional industry
and regional departments and in close coordination with the extractive
industry groups at the World Bank;
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions,
portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases and equity
sales, as necessary, recommending suitable structures for a range of
- Participate in all aspects of IFC’s project processing cycle from project development to disbursement;
- Prepare project-related documents for internal and external audiences;
- Coordinate closely with environmental and social colleagues to
ensure the maintenance of high environmental and social standards in
- Participate in investment negotiations and supervise investments in portfolio companies;
- Collaborate efficiently with a range of industry and regional IFC colleagues.
- Work with industry specialists to assess the technical and
commercial merits of gas projects to supply the domestic power market,
as well as the quality of potential investee management and technical
teams, to assist in the early stage screening and detailed due diligence
of investment proposals;
- Develop and execute a business development strategy and deploy
client relationship skills with potential gas suppliers to the power
sector, focusing on Nigerian entrepreneurs in the infrastructure and
natural resources space;
- Analyze operational and financial performance of potential
client companies to identify opportunities, address risks and recommend
- MBA or equivalent degree;
- 6 – 8 years of experience in finance with a proven track record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments;
- Strong financial, credit and equity skills; demonstrated ability
to creatively structure a variety of complex debt and equity
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, ability to
interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards;
- Commitment to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values;
- Excellent communication skills in English required, other language skill an advantage.
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Extensive knowledge of the gas-to-power sector in Nigeria;
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, and ability to work with local clients effectively;
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior
management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as
well as senior government officials;
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners and investment opportunities;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s to: email@example.com
- If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member
with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her
Regular or Open-Ended appointment.
- All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
- Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 7th August, 2016.