The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading
crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and
supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and
natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods,
youth development, and protection and promotion of
rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in
October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s emergency
response team, with local partner CISCOPE (civil society coalition for
poverty eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and
improve WASH in kogi state from February to May 2013. This was followed
by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location
from October 2013 to January 2014. IRC has been supporting programming
in Adamawa state since early 2014 and in September 2015 expanded into
Borno state with live-saving emergency intervention. IRC is now
providing an integrated, multi-sector response including health,
nutrition, EH, protection, food security, and education programming for
IDPs who have fled from Boko Haram-related violence in the NE. In June
2016, a new emergency was called due to growing numbers of SAM cases
resulting in near famine level malnutrition in Borno state which has led
to a further scale up of IRC’s programs in Nigeria.
Job Title: Assistant Finance Controller
TTA Assistant Finance Controller is mainly expected to build IRC
Nigeria finance staff capacity on month end closing, cash forecasting,
sub grant management, donor financial reporting, internal financial
reporting (BVA & BS reconciliation) and payroll accounting through
on the job training.
Specific Responsibilities Within Each Functional Area Are As Follows
- Control over and/or entry of changes to the Chart of Accounts, Analysis Codes and Exchange Rates
Performing or supervising the posting of entries ensuring proper
controls are enforced and appropriate systems in place to maintain all
required supporting documentation.
- Production of required monthly and ad-hoc reports.
- Developing expertise to control the system, develop new reports and be able to train staff in processing of data.
- Ensuring budgets are loaded on a timely basis
- Ensuring a backup and retention procedure is in place and followed for all SUN master files
- Train IRC Nigeria finance staff on sun processing and month end closing
Field Office Training & Support
Providing training and support for the country office program and
operational staff on the IRC Finance policies; accounting procedures and
requirements, assists the staff in finance related issues and
- Coach, train, provide orientation for and mentor
staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging
knowledge within the team
- Supervise and mentor direct-report
staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance
objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and
providing documented performance reviews.
- Review of financial
data submitted by the field to identify weaknesses or problems being
encountered by field finance staff and recommend corrective action.
Monitor the follow-up of the staff, vendor advances and other balance
sheet items before month end. Train finance staff on follow up of BS
Ensure that the country program cash forecasts and CTR reports are
accurate by working with Finance Manager, field and program coordinators
to help them develop more accurate cash forecasts of their program
- Monitoring cash usage and requirements and advises the Finance Controller of possible unusual activity or requirements
- Train IRC Nigeria finance staff on cash forecast and CTR reports
Review the adequacy and effectiveness of IRC Nigeria’s
partners/sub-grantees systems and internal policies, rules and
guidelines, ensuring that these controls offer adequate protection
against error, fraud and loss of all kinds.
- Review and
monitor sub-grantees financial reporting and compliance. Provide
additional assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standard
- Review partner procurement and financial
transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of
amounts and control over payments.
- Produce regular partner
compliance reports with findings and issues identified during the audit,
give appropriate recommendation and actions, providing advice and
suggestions on improvements to systems and procedures where appropriate.
- Provide in-person and remote capacity building and/or training to partners in financial management, reporting and compliance.
- Build IRC Nigeria Finance staff capacity building on review of sub-grants financial report and uploading to financial system
Donor Financial Reports
- Preparation of draft donor reports for review by the Finance Controller
- Analysis of actual to budget results to identify problems in accounting or compliance
- Identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
Preparation of the creation of detail level budgets in IRC SUN format
to ensure required donor reports can be produced form the accounting
- Provide on the job training to finance managers on preparation of donor reporting
- Supervising the review of the national payroll report ensuring accuracy and standard financial controls are maintained
Responsible for the preparation and training of finance staff of the
monthly international and national staff payroll accounting entries
including salary allocations/mapping.
- Liaison with the revenue department to ensure compliance with income tax and other related tax regulations
- Any other duties assigned by the Finance Controller
The position will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent travel within IRC Nigeria field offices (Yola, Mubi and Abuja)
Finance Controller, Finance Managers, Finance Officers, DDP, DDO, Field
Coordinators, Program Coordinators, Program managers, Senior HR &
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Advance Diploma in Accounting from
recognized College/Institutions with a minimum of three (5) years of
accounting experience in IRC of which 2 years must have worked as
finance manager in IRC and management skills to others
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well
- Fluency in English required
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply