28 Sep 2016
British High Commission Vacancy in Abuja for an Administrative Officer, Counter-Terrorism
by Jobzilla Nigeria at 9/28/2016 11:03:00 am Tags: Abuja Jobs , Administrative Jobs , British High Commission
disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
British High Commission is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Administrative Officer, Counter-Terrorism (18/16 ABJ)
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Political
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of Job:
- This is a new position as an administrative officer for counter-terrorism (CT) colleagues within the British High Commission in Abuja. The jobholder will provide support across the mission’s CT work. This will include support for First Secretary CT (line manager for the postion, also a new slot), First Secretary Home Affairs, SO15 Counter-Terrorism Police Liaison Officers (CTPLOs) and Criminal Justice and Crisis Response Teams.
- They will need to be proactive (for example, resolving issues by a telephone call or visit where more appropriate), have good judgement (including knowing when to escalate issues to team members) and be highly organised, keeping track of deadlines and requests.
- This will be a varied and interesting position – the jobholder can expect to get a good background on CT work across the mission. As well as the core duties set out in the job description, there will be scope to get out and about and more directly involved in your CT colleagues’ work, from helping them to deliver training or crisis exercising, acting as a note-taker at external meetings, and helping to look after official visitors that might range from senior UK judges, police or counter-terrorism experts.
- There will be numerous opportunities to learn and develop, including by shadowing colleagues dealing with policy, financial, and programme management work.
- The successful candidate will need excellent administration skills, and to be able to prioritise and cope well under pressure. On any given day, they will be working to a variety of Chancery colleagues and across various projects, with changing circumstances and priorities.
- Routine administrative support including bulk printing/photocopying/collating briefing or training packs
- Information management including managing the shared folder and ensuring paper and electronic filing, storage and security of documents (particularly key documents such as briefings, contracts, invoices)
- Establishing and maintaining a contacts list for Chancery CT colleagues.
- Supporting the team’s move to the new BHC premises in May 2016, including ensuring assets & documentation moved over securely and keeping track of colleagues’ contact details.
- Supporting operational deployments of CTPLOs within Nigeria and the Lake Chad region including travel and accommodation bookings, and processing of expense claims.
- Overall, co-ordinating administrative activities to ensure that the day-to-day operational needs of the team are met.
- Meeting co-ordination, including booking internal or external rooms, making diary appointments or invitations and arranging IT/catering/etc as required
- Arranging programmes for official visitors, including making flight and hotel bookings, facilitating visas, and passing on information to visitors on issues such as security, invoicing etc.
- General support to the team including co-ordinating stationery orders, transport requests, IT requests, drafting of meeting agendas, invitations or other documents as required.
- Experience of providing administrative support in a busy working environment
- A high level of oral and written English skills
- Strong collaborative skills including professional and confident communication with external stakeholders and team members
- IT skills including in MS Office applications Word and Excel
- Strong organisational skills including attending to detail, keeping track of deadlines, and ability to manage own work with limited supervision
- Prior experience of working with the UK or other governments, NGOs or similar organisations
- Additional IT skills including Powerpoint
- Project management skills or experience
- Knowledge / interest in counter-terrorism issues in Nigeria
- Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Starting monthly salary N360,778
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Country will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position
Start Date 1st November, 2016
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.