The American University of Nigeria (AUN) seeking for suitably qualified
candidate to fill the vacant job position of a Cook/Housekeeper below. This position is local position
and open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria:
AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the
leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and
Job Title: Cook/Housekeeper
Department: School of Business & Entrepreneurship
Summary of Position
- The position follows established schedules in cooking, baking,
sanitation, and related activities to ensure safety and sanitation.
- The position is expected to take inventory of supplies on hand and
orders food supplies, ingredients, and other consumables on a scheduled
basis as determined by menu and estimated number of diners for effective
- The position is also in charge of preparing palatable meals
according to specified menu and schedule with minimum waste and shall
also shop for necessary food supplies.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Clean and sanitize all food preparation equipment and ensures that it is kept in safe and operable condition.
- Ensure utensils and vegetables have to be properly washed so that food borne diseases are avoided.
- Work with the President’s house members to create menus for functions when requested.
- Prepare some food items ahead of time when necessary to maximize the use of time.
- Prepare specialty foods such as pizzas, fish and chips, sandwiches,
following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Prepare dough, following recipe.
- Performs physical inventories and keep records.
- Verify that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Ensure proper cooking methods are also important for ensuring that proteins and vitamins are not lost due to over cooking.
- Inquires for food allergy to prevent food poisoning.
- Use standard food preparation utensils such as knives, spoons, tongs and whips.
- Operate power driven equipment such as a meat slicer, blender, and juice maker.
- Provides input and suggestions tomenus for special functions and revisions to daily lunch and dinner menu.
- Perform other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Must be able to communicate in English.
- Minimum of Secondary School Certificate.
- Must be flexible in work schedule including weekends, nights and holidays.
- Service Orientation – actively looking for ways to help people.
- Neat appearance.
- Previous experience in a customer service role.
- Exposure to general maintenance and security practices.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Knowledge of proper cleaning techniques, requirements and use of equipment.
- Proficient knowledge and skills in the provision of adequate
security measures within stewards areas of concern (i.e. taking proper
custody of items in the guest houses).
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with attention to detail, speed,
accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, cooperativeness and work
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.