GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), one of the world’s leading research based
pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, is committed to improving the
quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and
live longer. GSK employs over 97,000 employees in over 100 countries
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc is one of Africa’s largest consumer
healthcare companies, producing leading brands such as Lucozade,
Ribena and Panadol.
GlaxoSmithKline Plc is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications and Government Affairs Director – Nigeria & West Africa
Requisition ID: WD92997
Location: Lagos, Nigeria-Lagos
Position: Full time
Functional area: Communications
- In line with our Africa 2020 vision, GSK seeks to tell its story
and build trust with internal and external stakeholders on the
continent. These include employees, media, governments, industry
bodies, regulators, HCPs, distributors etc.
- Given the importance of Nigeria to the GSK business, a well
functioning and effective Communications and Government Affairs (CGA)
function will support the LOC Leadership team appraise and monitor the
external environment and manage stakeholders; have a clear understanding
of healthcare and political environment and its impact on GSK; develop
policies, messaging and advocacy on key issues; support GM as local lead
on engagement with trade associations, government officials, key media
and external influencers; and take a ‘one GSK’ approach to government
affairs and LOC communication activity across RX, Vaccines, R&D and
ViiV operations represented in Nigeria.
- This LOC combined Communications and Government Affairs role
will work closely with functional Africa DC Communications RX,
Government Affairs Rx leads to allow capability building and functional
- As a shared services role, the job holder will provide similar business support to West Africa.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Communications (Internal and External):
- Provide the GM Nigeria and GM West Africa with communications counsel and strategic advice.
- Develop and implement internal and external communication
strategies to enhance the reputation of GSK in Nigeria and West Africa
and to drive business performance.
- Support major change programmes and organizational changes organizational changes in Nigeria and West Africa.
- Develop and deliver specific plans to build business leaders
external relationships (media and other stakeholders) and company
profile through targeted engagements on key strategic topics aligned to
the GSK brand and business.
- Lead and manage issues arising in Nigeria and West Africa,
advising and involving Nigeria and West Africa Leadership Team members
and above country teams as appropriate.
- Represent GSK Nigeria and West Africa communications and GSK
internally and externally at key meetings, industry engagements,
community programs etc. to inspire people with the GSK brand and
demonstrate our values.
- Oversee effective and productive agency selection and the outsourcing of communications related work at country level.
- Advise the business on effective message delivery and communications channels.
- Understand, monitor and manage the external commentator
environment proactively and reactively. Build a radar mechanism to
collect and effectively manage risks and opportunities.
- Ensure traditional and new media monitoring and reporting
processes are in place to ensure the business has full understanding of
media coverage and impact across the region.
- Take a ‘hands on’ approach for key reputational corporate and brand reputation campaigns in Nigeria & West Africa.
- Build strong personal and institutional network of key media commentators and PR agencies across the geography.
- Create a favorable external environment and protect and enhance
the reputation of GSK and support business growth by developing direct
and indirect advocacy programmes to address key issues.
- Support the GM Nigeria and West Africa with Government Affairs
in their external engagement activities by providing counsel and
strategic advice regarding the political, policy, economic and
healthcare environment and GSK’s policy positions on these issues
- Track local and regional policy trends; spot risks and opportunities.
- Represent GSK externally in relevant trade association and external meetings and conferences.
- Build partnerships with Nigeria and West Africa policy makers
and influencers and bring the voice of government, the patient and
consumer into GSK.
- Work with the Government Affairs Director, EMA & Africa DC
to develop solutions-driven policy positions that address key issues
impacting GSK’s reputation or business
- Operationally, the CGA role reports to the General Manager – Nigeria and General Manager – West Africa.
The role holder will interact with varied stakeholders
- Senior GSK leadership at LOC and Area level
- Media (mainstream and digital)
- NGO partners and community leaders
- Industry (HCPs, Regulators etc.)
- Employees within Rx / enterprise.
- Government officials and other state actors e.g. policy makers, Ambassadors etc.
The role holder should embody ‘humble confidence’ in all interactions
with the above stakeholders. Good negotiating skills, ability to listen
and analyse and solution-focus is essential to creating win-win
- Degree / Post Degree Qualification in Communications, Public Affairs, Public Policy
- English language is essential
- A business knowledge of French is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonal and
presentation; able to interact with and influence all levels of
individuals across the organisation.
- Rounded senior CGA leader with exceptional business partnering
and stakeholder management abilities internally and externally.
Values-led leader at ease advising and delivering in role.
- Demonstrated understanding of the external and public policy environment
- Highly skilled in managing complex issues (external and
internal), identifying areas of control, mobilizing internal response
and resolving effectively.
- Demonstrate ability to inspire employees, drive engagement and deliver business results.
- Exquisite personal judgment, behavioral flexibility and experience of working across multiple and varied cultures.
- Issues management capabilities to help steer business reputation in times of crisis.
- Demonstrate ability to execute with discipline and finesse.
Showcase ability to deliver tangible, measurable and sustainable
business results that earn the organization the social license to
operate and grow.
- A strong personal track record of building and managing
excellent media relations, delivering on-message coverage in top tier
local / regional titles.
- A strong track record in building partnerships and relationship with government and other key external stakeholders
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply