Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children
in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United
States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats
children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their
lives by improving their health,
education and economic
opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid
assistance to help children recover from the effects of war,
conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners
reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join
our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the
well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian WASH Assistant
Location: Borno, Nigeria
- To support implementation of WASH component of project including
construction/rehabilitations, follow up of community hygiene groups,
and collaboration with WASH stakeholders at state/LGA levels.
Key Areas of Accountability
Objective 1: Implement, hygiene promotion, and community mobilisation activities at LGA level
- Facilitate carrying out community mobilization and hygiene promotion session among the IDPs and host communities.
- Proactively participate in the selection of beneficiaries for
the NFI kit along with full participation in the distribution process.
- Provide full support to WASH Officer in maintaining regular
contact with local stakeholders including Government
Ministries/Department/Agencies at LGA level
- Proactively participate in Information, Education and
Communication (IEC) activities for sanitation and hygiene promotion
activities at LGA level.
- Assist the WASH Officer in providing training to Health
Workers/Community Volunteers/WaSHCom and other partners on Water,
Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Support the WASH Officer in organizing information meetings with
community members to develop their knowledge in terms of water quality
and hygienic practices.
Objective 2: Collect information and data on community mobilization and hygiene promotion related activities at LGA level:
- Participate in the monitoring of all hygiene promotion activities to ensure behavioural change and project ownership
- Ensure post distribution monitoring mechanism in place for NFI
kits and target communities are equally trained for handling and usage.
Objective 3: Collaborate with local authorities and the population, for
the smooth implementation of the Hygiene promotion activities:
- Assist the WASH Officer in defining the approach with local stakeholders.
- Collaborate well with Community Volunteers (CVs) on hygiene promotion messaging and act as an interface between IDPs and CVs.
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- First degree in Geology, Civil Engineering or other WASH-related
fields from a recognized/accredited Tertiary Institution in Nigeria
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Hausa, spoken and written
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- At least two years post-graduation experience
- Advanced degree will be an added advantage
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs
- Experience in Nutrition and in community based programmes
- Training and experience on borehole and VIP latrine construction/rehabilitation
- Community mobilisation and advocacy experience
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 12th September, 2016.