Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization
in the field of migration and works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to
promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all.
so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Position Title : Field Security Officer
Duty Station : Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and the
Head of Sub Office in Maiduguri, and the technical supervision of the
Regional Field Security Officer (RFSO) for Central and West Africa, and
in close collaboration with the Head of the Staff Security Unit (SSU) at
Headquarters (HQs), and the programme managers at IOM Maiduguri, the
successful candidate will oversee the security and safety matters
directly or indirectly related to all IOM personnel and assets under the
specific circumstances provided by the security situation in Maiduguri.
S/he will supervise the mission’s security unit and in coordination
with the RFSO, plan, coordinate and implement appropriate safety and
security management procedures that will effectively address staff
safety and the protection of IOM assets, while ensuring secure and safe
IOM operations in Maiduguri.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the HoSO, the CoM and the RFSO, assist in
the development and implementation of a sound security strategy for IOM
- Assist in creating an enabling environment to ensure the orderly
functioning of the Mission’s programmes in close coordination with the
Government, UNDSS, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Provide accurate and up to date assessments of the fluid and
unpredictable security situation in Borno state and advise the CoM on
how to mitigate against identified threats and risks.
- Develop, introduce and provide staff training on relevant safety
and security management procedures related to the safety and security of
IOM staff and the protection of IOM assets, partners and beneficiaries,
including development and maintenance of a functioning warden system.
- In coordination with the RFSO, provide safety/security briefings
for IOM staff deployed to and travelling within Nigeria and to
Maiduguri, and coordinate all travel security for the Mission relating
to all IOM operations, including assessments of road, air and river
transport networks, medical evacuations and international staff travel
within and from/to Borno state.
- Under the guidance of the RFSO, periodically review and monitor
Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) and Residential Security
Measures (RSM) and compliance therewith at all IOM offices and staff
residence in Maiduguri, respectively, and assist in conducting security
assessments at IOM sub office (SO).
- Prepare periodic informative, assessment related and statistical
reports, briefings, background summaries and statistical analysis as
directed by the HoSO, CoM and RFSO including the development,
implementation and maintenance of the mission’s Business Continuity Plan
(BCP) the security emergency plan (including fire security plan) and
assist in the annual ‘BCP & Security Emergency table top’ exercises.
- When directed by the HoSO/the CoM, attend Area Security
Management Team (ASMT) meetings. Ensure that there is an IOM security
representative at all security cell meetings. Conduct duty travel inside
and outside Nigeria as may be necessary and/or directed by the HoSO,
the CoM or RFSO.
- Oversee and maintain the IOM Nigeria vehicle fleet movement
tracking system to ensure safe and secure movement of all mission
vehicles including trucks, and take effective measures to respond to
unauthorised movements. (Oversee the adequate assignment, operation and
sécurisation of the mission’s armoured vehicles (AVs), including the
selection, training, supervision and monitoring of national and
international AV drivers.)
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International
Relations, Law Enforcement, Security Management, Disaster Management or a
related field from an accredited academic institution with five years
of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Equivalent studies in the National Armed or Security forces of country of residence.
• Experience in security management, law enforcement, migrant processing and emergency response at an international level;
• Comprehensive understanding of the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS)
and exhibit the ability to work with UNDSS in the field;
• Experience working with transport providers;
• Experience in refugee migration related issues, project development
and in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as
with international institutions;
• Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts;
• Demonstrated ability to manage a high degree of rational behaviour
and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the
• Familiarity with the Nigerian context and previous working experience in the region an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Haoussa is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment;
incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes
equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is
medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa
requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via
PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 September 2016 at the latest,
referring to this advertisement.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the
progress of your application on your personal application page in the
IOM e-recruitment system.