The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading
crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and
supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and
natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods,
youth development, and protection and promotion of
rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in
October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
International Rescue Committee is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Health and Nutrition Manager
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The emergency health manager’s primary responsibility is to
manage and support all primary health and clinical activities for the
emergency stabilization center and various numbers of OPDs integrated
with nutrition in mobile outreach for the newly liberated government
areas (LGA) – currently Konduga and Monguno with potential for
additional. Ensures the respect and correct application of the treatment
Mobile outreach functions:
- Manages and places requests for therapeutic food for the mobile outreach
- Manages and places requests for drugs and supplies in collaboration with the pharmacist
- Manages and plans weekly movement plans and reviews with supply chain/fleet
- Weekly review and compiling of statistics from each team and transmit the to the ERT and nutrition coordinator
- Weekly site visits to one of the outer LGA sites for on-the job supervision and training
- Give feed back to the team.
- Work in collaboration with ERT health and nutrition and the
country nutrition coordinator to maximize and ensure quality operations
- Compiles monthly reports and submits to coordinators and hospital/state leadership
- Manages and plans weekly food, drugs and supply consumption with pharmacist and technicians
- Continued engages and interaction with community volunteers and
leaders to ensure effective, safe operating space for mobile outreach
- Ensures regular entry and upkeep of HMIS and disease
surveillance system. Participates with health coordinator in analysis
and feedback to team
Stabilization center (SC) functions:
- Assists SC Clinical Manager in shift coverage and supervisorial/mentoring activities
- Participates in training with SC staff
- Track referral system to SC including:
- Ensuring ambulance availability
- Ensuring communication between mobile outreach and SC
- Tracking and follow-up of referrals
- Direct clinical delivery at mobile outreach and/or SC
- Works in collaboration with the outreach team to ensure quality nutritional and medical care in respect of protocols.
- Works as a member of the team, taking in consideration the
non-medical problems encountered by the patients (feeding and
- Points out the presence, the day-off and the absence of the staff, in collaboration with the administrator (if existing)
- Distribute and delegates the work within the personnel according to their knowledge
- Conduct weekly meetings with the personnel
- Organizes and delivers training course for the staff when necessary.
- Inform the coordinator in case of difficulties.
- Supervises management the working schedule of mobile teams
- Plan and organizes the replacements of workers as needed
- Respect the existing working rules and to be attentive to the working condition of the personnel.
- Works with coordinator to promote the quality of the IRC’s
health programs and implements quality assurance mechanisms and checks
in collaboration with other staff.
- Ensures programs engage and utilize community participation and feedback
- Understands how nutrition and health projects use to the IRC
theories of change and that outcomes are evidence-driven and
- Facilitate sound data collection and information management
systems are in place for ongoing performance analysis and programmatic
action based on data and identified needs.
- Supports M&E plans and maintains health management
information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC health
programs in Nigeria.
- High attention to details
- Computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and EPI-Info
- Experience interacting and communicating with children under treatment and their caretakers
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- While performing duties of the job, the provider frequently
works in precarious and remote places. The provider must be comfortable
and calculative with working in areas of civil strife, unstable
security conditions. The manager must be able to live outdoors and in
extreme weather conditions;
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa an advantage
- Ability to start immediately
- Previous experience working in a similar role on humanitarian response program
- Flexible work attitude: Be flexible and yet focused & reliable in an environment of changing demands;
- Comfort with frequent travel within Nigeria via multiple modes (i.e. fixed wing, helicopter, road, etc.);
- Completed post-graduate health degree and nutrition training.
- Public health degree
- Experience working in a nutrition stabilization center
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The Emergency Health and Nutrition Manager will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange).
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in
insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position. The Emergency
Health and Nutrition Manager will live in shared housing.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles
outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are
Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these
values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection
from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace
Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
- Under the direct supervision of the ERT Health and Nutrition
Coordinator and reports to the overall Health and Nutrition Coordinator.
- Mobile outreach/post OTP/OPD staff members: health clinical officer, nurse, nutrition officer, and pharmacist.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply