GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), one of the world’s leading research based
pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, is committed to improving the
quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and
live longer. GSK employs over 97,000 employees in over 100 countries
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc is one of Africa’s largest consumer
healthcare companies, producing leading brands such as Lucozade,
Ribena and Panadol.
GlaxoSmithKline is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Africa/DC CEP Market Lead
Requisition ID: WD93356
Location: Lagos, Nigeria-Lagos
Position: Full time
Functional area: Commercial
Grade 5: Africa Flexible/Nigeria Preferred Dept S&CB CoE
- As a market lead of the CEP portfolio for AFRICA DC, this role
will drive the CEP Strategy Execution, aligned with the AFRICA DC Region
and areas priorities, by being part of the AFRICA DC LT team. It will
also provide challenge and stimulus to the Area LOCs to support the
delivery of the CEP targets in the region.
- This role will require creating the appropriate network within
AFRICA DC, and working alongside to the Respiratory and Vaccines Market
leads, and the CEP LT.
- Describe the key deliverables to be achieved by the post holder and the ongoing responsibilities of the role
- Leads the cultural change required to manage a post patent
portfolio (from the 2 Ps, to the 4 Ps), in line with the GSK ethics,
values and the Area Strategic priorities
- Promotes a culture of relentless continuous improvement through
clear lead & lag indicators and ensures central & LOC teams have
clear, accountable action plans with agreed “get well” dates
- Aligned with the CEP 5 Strategic Levers for the CEP portfolio
Optimize/Maximize the promotional channels (Multi Channel promotion):
- Drives and challenges local opportunities development based on
local markets insight- regulatory, payers and HCPs role in driving sales
of CEP incorporating competitor strategies, distributors landscape and
environmental challenges. Leads an innovative approach to the management
of CEP, applying skills that are non-traditional for GSK Review,
challenge and feedback the Annual LOCs Business Plan for the CEP
- Provide leadership & rapid sharing of best commercial
practices and ensure fast implementation of successful projects across
- Optimize the use of the area A&P, by leveraging the CEP CoE
centrally produced materials, working alongside with the area Commercial
Excellence and Multi Channel Marketing Teams:
- Participate in the co-creation panels, representing the voice of
the Area, giving feedback to the CEP CoE about the Area promotional
needs, in order to ensure synergies, avoid duplications and maximize
Maximize the Commercial Channel (assessment, capabilities and execution gaps):
- Work alongside with the Global Tender Lead to maximize any Tender opportunities
- Work alongside with the Trade Lead to maximize and enable the Commercial Trade Channel strategy and opportunities.
- Maximize any potential price/volume opportunities
- Build the right capabilities for the tender team in the region
including training, ETMS utilization, ensure tender compliance etc
- Monthly Input into the CCC process including representation of
CEP Region DRMs, CEP pre S&Op and other forums to align forecasts,
include updated risks and opportunities, and bridge the link to global
- Maximize the use of spare capacity by identifying price/volume
opportunities in the Area, working alongside with the Supply
- Provide input and insights to the Supply Optimization Lead in cases of supply allocation requirements
- Identify alongside to the Supply Optimization Lead opportunities to simplify and harmonize the CEP portfolio
- Identify launches opportunities, by maximizing the use of our key strategic SKUs, using the PREPs process
- Act as gatekeeper for all new SKUs by assessing the business
potential, ensuring it meets new SKU commercial thresholds, assess
feasibility, green route etc before approval to launch
- Identify volume opportunities in the case of COGs reduction
- Identify launch opportunities, when the COGs are more competitive for the Area.
Breadth/ Scope of Accountability:
- Provide details of any scope data relevant to the role e.g. the
net sales that the role supports / generates or budget responsibility.
- Annual Budget managed by this role (Provide either Revenue/ Assets Managed or Operating budget)
- Annual Direct Revenue Accountability please add currency) >n£100 Million 2016 plan for AFRICA DC
- Assets Managed, if applicable (please add currency) NA
- Operating Budget Accountability, if applicable (please add currency) NA
- Number of Direct Reports None (may have FLP Assigned)
- Number of Indirect Reports Indirect Reports (Leadership through
influence) – Area Heads, General Managers, BU country Heads or Marketing
Directors, Respiratory and Vaccine Market Leads, Medical Area Lead,
Regulatory Area Lead, and the CEP LT team
Knowledge/ Education / Previous Experience Required
List any academic or practical education that must be obtained to be qualified to perform this role.
- Minimum Level of Education: University Graduate
- Area of Specialisation: Business and Marketing
- Why is this Level of Education Required?
- Preferred Level of Education Master’s Degree
- Area of Specialisation Business and Marketing
- Why is this Level of Education Preferred?
- Degree in a Business / Marketing / Comercial discipline.
- Describe what experience this position will require the job
holder to have obtained in past roles within or outside of GSK that
would demonstrate a level of proficiency in the stated role.
- Minimum Level of Job-Related Experience required Significant
Marketing and Sales experience with post patent portfolio or Branded
Generics, in order to maximize the potential of the portfolio, and
experience of participating in an LOC or Area LT.
- Why is this Level of Experience Required? Requires a high level
of seniority in order to manage Senior Stakeholders in the Area, and the
complexity required for a post patent portfolio
Other Job-Related Skills/Background:
- List any licenses, certificates, registrations, or any relevant
job skill or abilities not covered in Educational Background or
Job-Related Experience sections above that are required for the job.
- Breadth and depth of commercial experience and good understanding of portfolio management
- High level of commercial/financial/ acumen- especially understanding of P/V, rebating trading/negotiation techniques
Experience of at least two of:
- Pharmacy channel management
- Digital marketing/multi-channel marketing
- Supply Chain
Section 3: Job Evaluation Detail:
Application of Knowledge:
- Briefly describe HOW the level of knowledge required for this role is applied / used within the role.
- Provide examples
- It is required in order to manage the complexity of a post
patent environment, in order to maximize the portfolio potential
according to each market archetype
Problem Solving & Innovation:
- Briefly describe the level of problem solving that the role
requires and provide examples of why. Consider the difficulty of the
problems to be solved and the extent to which judgement and analysis
must be exercised. Provide examples
- The job holder needs to understand and have insight across
different markets in the Area and above 20 key products sold trough
different commercial channels. Due the brand are mature and develop in
different ways trough the different market archetypes, there is not 1
solution fits all. The job holder needs to understand each market
insight and leverages the potential of the CEP portfolio, understanding
where can support each LOCs and the Area priorities.
- Briefly describe the nature of interaction that the role
requires. Consider the interpersonal and communications skills typically
required by the job, the extent to which the job requires cooperation
and tact in dealing with others both inside and outside the
organization, and the complexity of that interaction.
- Influencing skills need to be strong as the role requires the
ability to influence people, and develop effective relationships at all
levels and across functions, to challenge the markets in the objectives,
investment, etc. This is a key element due the role does not have a
direct decision into the LOCs P&L and the influence skills are a key
element to achieve the objectives.
- Briefly describe the type of multi-cultural responsibilities
that the role requires. Consider the multi-cultural responsibilities of
the job. Multi-cultural requirements should not be based solely on the
number of countries or location of staff/languages among co-workers, but
the combination and magnitude of racial/ethnic diversity, variance in
socio-economic environment, and how complex each country is culturally.
- Working in an above country role, the person will have to
interact with senior management across the area and within the CEP team.
This role will have to understand the decision making process across
different cultures and also to understand the local environment for each
of the country, that feeds each individual country strategies.
- Briefly describe the level of Impact that the role requires.
Consider the impact this role has on business objectives, the sphere of
influence and the required level of personal impact. Indicate whether
impact is on a single or multiple areas of the business. At what level
of the organization does this role operate?
- CEP portfolio represents 60% of the total Pharma Turnover, 90%
of the volume. In AFRICA DC markets, these products participate in
growing markets. The right strategy can bring grow to the region, the
area and GSK.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply