Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to
populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding
from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian
programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to
assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection,
livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in
Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied
assistance in a wider geographic area. Mercy Corps plans to implement a
program in 2 states “ISING” or Investing in the safety and integrity of
Nigerian girls targeting adolescent girls and boys affected by the
conflict in the Northeast.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Driver
Location: Biu – Borno
General Position Summary
- The Driver will work within Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte operational
support structure which is committed to provide reliable and compliant
support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to
- The driver will provide safe, transport services for
Humanitarian program and support staff in relations to Mercy Corps
- The driver will adhere to all traffic and Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte safety rules and transport guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
- Operate Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte Humanitarian program vehicle as assigned by supervisor in a safe and secure manner.
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC
policies/regulations and report to the Operations Officer at the end of
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business;
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned;
- Adherence to Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte policies and procedures as outlined in the policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in
such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte and to not
jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to Operations Officer;
- Adhere to Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte safety and communication protocols as advised by Operations Officer;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.;
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times;
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and guesthouse daily workloads;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- Valid driver’s license and experience driving 4×4 vehicles.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and application of all safety and traffic rules.
- Basic understanding of English and fluency in Kanuri and Hausa will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally
s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency
programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts.
- A clear understanding of driver ethics as well as the
willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps policies
and procedures is essential. A high level of personal integrity,
honesty and transparency in all dealings is essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and
national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work
quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in
support of changing program activities is necessary.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover
Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline 6th October, 2016.