15 Sep 2016
Job in Abuja at The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
by Jobzilla Nigeria at 9/15/2016 06:49:00 pm Tags: Abuja Jobs , OND/HND/BSC Jobs , The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition
GAIN is delivering improved nutrition to an estimated 700 million people in more than 30 countries, half of whom are women and children. Nutrition products are as varied as fortified cooking oil and flour in Africa, soy sauce in China and biscuits in India, as well as specialized products for infant and young child nutrition and interventions to protect the most vulnerable affected by emergencies or chronic illness.
Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Associate, Postharvest Loss Alliance for Nutrition PLAN - Agriculture and Nutrition
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Direct Reports: 0
Travel Required: 30%
- By strengthening the value chain, GAIN’s Agriculture and Nutrition Program intends to make nutritious diets more affordable and accessible for vulnerable populations.
- To this end, we take a market-based approach, promoting local private-sector investment across the value chain. We have also developed tools to improve the nutritional outcomes of more traditional agricultural interventions.
- PLAN will act as both a global nucleus for coordination, programming, research, knowledge exchange and investment on Postharvest food loss as well as a national hub in emerging markets for business to business (B2B) engagement.
- Through National and Global Alliances of stakeholders engaged in postharvest loss and waste reduction, GAIN will serve as a backbone organization driving for collective impact.
- At the center of the Alliance is a B2B Engine where local businesses will be matched with international industry leaders and technical experts to increase local enterprises’ access to knowledge, technologies and financial services.
- The PLAN Associate will work closely with the PLAN Project Manager to manage and coordinate the activities of the alliance and the B2B engine in Nigeria.
- Because little research exists in this field-into how agricultural systems can be modified to improve the nutritional density of foods, or into how to reduce an agricultural commodity’s loss of nutrients as it moves up the value chain-we are building the evidence base through rigorous research. With our strategy, we hope to reach a formative, sustainable and scalable solution to food insecurity and malnutrition. For instance, through The Marketplace for Nutritious Foods (The Marketplace), we are supporting local enterprises in Africa.
- As a leader in identifying and delivering solutions to address malnutrition, GAIN has developed the Postharvest Loss Alliance for Nutrition to bring together the multitude of public and private sector actors addressing this issue to collectively reduce loss and waste of nutritious foods.
- Coordinate and manage portfolio of B2B E companies
- Liaise with, communicate and coordinate periodic meetings with alliance members
- When necessary, represent GAIN at meetings and conferences and all stakeholders,
- Support the preparation of materials on PLAN Nigeria for donors and general public,
- Draft and manage consultancy contracts
- Provide technical and operational assistance to Senior PLAN Nigeria Manager and B2BE companies,
- Support the exploration and building of new partnerships to reach target populations while demonstrating innovation and creative thinking in the face of complex situations.
- Key Organizational Relationships:
- Reports to the Senior PLAN Manager,
- Works closely with AgNut Senior Technical Advisor and Monitoring Learning and Research Team,
- Supports “resource mobilization” efforts.
- Manage and review B2B Call for Applications
- Strategically maintain and develop relationships between alliance members and B2B companies
- Develop strategies for effective tracking and monitoring of B2B companies and alliance goals
- Prepare high-quality reports and other materials to communicate the performance of PLAN Nigeria
- Contribute to concept development and fundraising proposals,
- Support strengthening of PLAN Nigeria Platform,
- Support Senior PLAN Manager and others to ensure that all PLAN project activities are completed according to the implementation timeframe and budget,
- Implement innovative project management solutions to ensure constant communication and smooth and timely budget disbursements,
Competences (Skills and Attributes):
- Excellent project management and strategic thinking abilities,
- Strong analytical and technical abilities,
- Negotiation and advocacy skills,
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity,
- Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environment,
- Flexible, goal oriented and willingness to travel in challenging environments,
- IT literate with excellent MS Office skills including advanced Excel.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines,
- Ability to operate within the corporate and public sectors to effectively liaise with private companies, development agencies, and governments in multiple cultures,
- Ability to manage contractors to deliver high quality results,
- Experience in the performance management of agribusiness related to reducing postharvest losses of nutritious foods,
- Experience in managing agriculture and business issues in Nigeria,
- Business development experience,
- Experience developing successful public / private partnerships.
- Bachelors or Master's Degree in Agribusiness, Food Science/Technology, Business Administration, Economics or a suitable equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written): fluent in English,
- Be willing to travel to visit PLAN Nigeria B2BE Companies,
- Comfortable with working under pressure/tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize,
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work alone and in a team setting.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 14th October, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.