The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) prevents, mitigates and
resolves violent conflicts around the world by engaging directly in
conflict zones and providing analysis, education and resources to those
working for peace.
The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Justice & Security Dialogue Project Officer
Requisition ID: 429891
Department: Governance, Law & Society
Employment Status: CTR – Contractor
- The Project Officer, in consultation with the JSD Coordinator
for Nigeria, is responsible for closely monitoring, supporting, and
ensuring quality of implementation of the JSD process in Jos, Nigeria.
This is a local position in Jos, Plateau state.
- This position reports to the Coordinator, who is in charge of
the overall strategic direction of JSD activities in country and
partnership-building with relevant stakeholders, training, mentoring and
coaching of in-country project officers, as needed. The position will
also work in collaboration with D.C. based staff.
- role requires supporting implementing partners in direct
implementation, continuously developing relationships with institutional
and local stakeholders; and implementing, monitoring and reporting on
JSD project activities in Jos.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Support when and as needed, in close collaboration with the
implementing partner, the implementation of JSD activities in Nigeria;
- In close consultation with the Coordinator, continuously develop
relationships with institutional and national-level stakeholders;
- Provide regular, detailed, updates on JSD activities to the Coordinator and DC team;
- Assist in systems mapping, data collection and empirical
research from the JSD process that can feed into publications and the
national-level policy discussion;
- Support the Coordinator in development of reports, policy guidance, or political analysis as needed;
- Coordinate with and support regional JSD network as needed;
- Work with the implementing partner to ensure activities are implemented on schedule;
- Coordinate the organization of operational meetings, dialogues,
in-country trainings and other activities as needed by the JSD team;
- In close consultation with the Coordinator, mentor and coach the
dialogue implementing partner through the JSD process in Nigeria;
- Review all technical and financial reporting from implementing
partners, provide guidance as needed, and liaise with the Coordinator to
ensure timely submission of all required materials;
- Observe and support project activities and cultivate relationships in Jos, Nigeria;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA in relevant field (International Relations, Conflict Resolution, Human Rights or Development) required, MA preferred;
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with officials in government and collaborating with local partner organizations;
- Strong interest in and experience with innovative programming;
- Demonstrated project design, implementation, and monitoring & evaluation skills.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Four (4) years of related experience required.
- Professional experience in rule of law, security sector reform, peacebuilding or similar field in Jos, Nigeria.
- Track record working with security forces and civil society in Nigeria is preferred.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- This position is subject to the availability of funds. The
initial term of the position will be determined subject to the
availability of secured funding, and is eligible for renewals based on
- All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Please email your resume in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, .rtf,
.html, or .ascii format to the address below. If you wish to enclose a
cover letter, please include it in the body of your email message.
- If the “Email your Resume” button does not respond, right click
on the button and select ‘copy shortcut’ or ‘copy email address’ and
send your resume to the copied email address using your personal email
- Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
- No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
- If you are having problems submitting your online application,
please try another browser (Chrome and Firefox work best). If the “Email
your Resume” button does not respond, right click on the button and
select ‘copy shortcut’ or ‘copy email address’ and send your resume to
the copied email address using your personal email account