Medecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private, non-profit international
humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to
populations in crisis.
MSF is recruiting for its projects in Nigeria in the capacity below:
Job Title: Field Communications Manager (FCM)
Contract: 208 working hours per month and roster flexibility required.
- To define, implement, coordinate and supervise all operational
communication activities according to MSF standards in the mission/ or
during an emergency.
- The FCM aims at building MSF visibility, acceptance and leverage
inside the mission country. For any large scale emergencies, an
Emergency Field Communications Manager (ECM) may be sent to the mission
or the FCM can be asked to act as an ECM.
- The FCM promotes the visibility of the organisation, improving
awareness of its principles and work, reinforcing information on MSF
activities among communities. The FCM should have the capacity to
identify key cross cutting issues across MSF operations which are
relevant to communications and to advise on public positioning.
- He /she will develop communications through local media and have the capacity to remain reactive to emergencies.
- In emergencies with high media pressure the FCM is able to act
as an ECM and as a spokesperson to take interview pressure away from the
Media Management/ Alert
- The FCM maintains close contact with key local media and foreign
correspondents, he/she helps in understanding the Nigerian media
environment and affiliations
- The FCM liaises with communications staff from other
organisations and institutions, and will monitor and analyse the
communication lines developed by actors of importance for MSF
(authorities, armed groups, UN, other NGOs…).
- The FCM facilitates media visits to MSF projects and he/she
organizes media events (Press conference, Press briefing…) in
collaboration with MSF international communication network.
- The FCM briefs spokespersons and assesses media training needs for key staff.
- He/she can play the role of a spokesperson when seen as opportune and necessary.
- The FCM produces strategic reports on the local media landscape
and regularly reports on new developments. He/she provides guidance on
how to deal with local media at time of crisis, and will develop
guidelines for dealing with such crises through in-country media.
- The FCM advises on which communications tools to choose
according to objective, message and audience at local and national
levels. He/she then produces – or supervises the production of – local
communications contents (leaflets, brochures, posters, radio spots,
articles, photos, videos) according to strategy and budget.
- The FCM helps producing international communications content by
providing data, information, quotes, testimonies, pictures, videos and
other means to the CAs or the communication person in charge of writing
international communications contents at HQ level.
- The FCM tracks and archives communications production on the country to build institutional memory.
- The FCM reports and collaborates with the Heads of Mission (HOM)
of MSF sections and ensures communication is streamlined, communicated
and agreed by both parties ahead of publishing
- The FCM will produce a yearly communications budget meant to
support identified and agreed com priorities. This budget will be
submitted for approval to the Head of Mission (s) and coms department at
- Content Production
- Content Diffusion
- The FCM actively promotes the diffusion of MSF content in the
country. Under the supervision of the Heads of Mission, the FCM
identifies communications opportunities using MSF communications network
production or returning staff to pitch content on MSF activities in the
country and other countries.
- When judged opportune and strategic, he/ she uses social media
(twitter, blogs, Facebook….) to promote MSF contents and visibility,
this might include creating MSF social media accounts, following them
and provide feeds and materials
- The FCM produces regular reports on achieved results and future priorities.
- Budget Management
Required Skills and Conditions
- Desirable: Degree in Journalism, Communications, Humanitarian Affairs, Political Sciences or related university degree.
- Essential: previous working experience of at least 4 years in communications, journalism or public relations.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and digital media)
- Essential: previous working experience in producing communications content production
- Experience working in an international environment.
- English essential. Command of local languages is desirable.
Monthly Gross Salary of N333, 231.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s, copies of
qualifications and a cover letter with contact details by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref Field Communication Manager).
- Selected candidates only will be called for a Test and interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind,
nor other types of favoritisms will be tolerated in the recruitment
process. MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having
benefited from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be
pursued through the judicial system
Application Deadline 11th September, 2016.