Mercy Corps is an international relief and development organization
working in over 40 countries worldwide helping people build secure,
productive and just communities. Mercy Corps Nigeria implements a
variety of programs with the ultimate goal of building productive,
secure and just
communities. The organization’s programs are implemented
in twelve states, mainly in north and north east parts of Nigeria and
Lagos. Our work covers the following sectors: economic development,
livelihoods/food security, adolescent girls & boys empowerment,
financial resilience, conflict mitigation and humanitarian response.
Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development,
gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private
sector and civil society actors.
Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior HR Manager
General Position Summary
- The Human Resources Manager is a position based in Abuja with
travel to field office as requested. The position provides specialized
support to Mercy Corps’ programs in Nigeria, assisting in the
achievement of Mercy Corps goals by facilitating policy and systems for
human resource needs to ensure efficient and effective operations.
- The Human Resources Manager will coordinate implementation of services, policies, and programs through Human Resources staff.
- The Human Resource Manager is a senior position reporting
directly to the Country Director and is part of the Senior Leadership
- This position is responsible for ensuring that human resources
practices and objectives provide an employee-oriented, high performance
culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, goal attainment, and the
recruitment and ongoing development of a committed and skilled
Essential Job Functions
Human Resource Management:
- Implement transparent and appropriate HR practices,
standards/procedures and policies in accordance with Mercy Corps Nigeria
Employee Handbook to strengthen the Human Resources (HR) function
overall. This should include the rollout of the Handbook in the offices,
training of HR/Admin staff, improvement of electronic and paper
personal files, improvement in personal database files and leave
- Provide guidelines and technical assistance related to the Human Resources function to all Mercy Corps staff.
- Oversee the monthly procedure of time allocation for all staff
including collection, review and compilation into payroll, and training
new staff on timesheet procedure. Process monthly timesheet summary in
conjunction with finance staff and ensure payroll is delivered in a
timely manner to all offices.
- Participate in recruitment, disciplinary and termination
meetings of all national staff in coordination with Country Director and
Program Manager/Director. Ensure recruitment processes allow Mercy
Corps Nigeria to hire top-quality staff members.
- Oversee the clearance of terminated employees, as per Mercy Corps Nigeria policies and procedures.
- Manage and ensure that all Mercy Corps Human Resources processes
and record-keeping are in compliance with the human resource policies
(including HR forms, timesheet, employee data sheets, ID cards,
disciplinary papers, performance evaluations and other HR files) and
management of required information for compensation and benefits
- Identify weaknesses in current HR systems. Advise supervisor on
outstanding issues and assist in designing and implementing, as
- Manage all human resource related legal issues in compliance with Nigeria labor law.
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary
to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a
high level of employee morale and motivation within the offices.
- Responsible for the review process of the Mercy Corps Nigeria National Handbook.
- Ensure diversity in Mercy Corps teams.
- Ensure that onboarding process is developed and conducted leading to new hires smooth transition to Mercy Corps.
- Ensure that leave tracking system is functional and up to date.
- Work with senior managers and director to ensure that they and
staff follow procedures, policies, performance review are conducted on
time and staff takes regular annual leave.
Training and Development:
- Put in place a staff development plans.
- Ensure the effective implementation of the performance
management system that includes performance development plans and work
plans and employee development programs. This including building the
capacity of national staff through internal and external trainings.
- Train managers on how to efficiently conduct performance appraisals.
- Identify and develop diverse and skilled sources of talent;
coordinate hiring activities across field offices to insure continuity
and best practice.
- Work closely with all senior managers to ensure that staff
development plans are in place for all team members and that indicators
of success are developed and measured.
- Lead high-qualify new staff induction and orientation programs
for new employees and visitors. Ensure that Mercy Corps’ orientation
process is followed.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts
towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to
international standards guiding international relief and development
work: participation, transparency, feedback and learning, and complaint
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in
support of our understanding that learning organizations are more
effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we
expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning
activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- HR team.
Reports Directly to:
- Country Director
Work directly with:
- Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations, other Mercy Corps staff.
Knowledge and Experience
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation,
benefits administration, organizational planning and development,
employee relations, safety, training and development and office
- Proven success in managing an HR team.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully participate in senior management teams that provide leadership and strategic direction.
- Must have unparalleled business acumen and must possess project management skills
- Must exhibit a high level of initiative, flexibility and credibility
- Must have a working knowledge and be current with all relevant employment related laws.
- Excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Superior
interpersonal and coaching skills including patience and ability to work
well with staff at all levels.
- Proven experience in Crisis/ Conflict Management.
Qualification & Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or in a related field
- Membership of relevant professional body (CIPM, SHRM, etc) is an added advantage
- Fluency in English is required. Hausa will be a plus.
- 5-7 years of professional experience with at least 5 years of
progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple
human resource disciplines, including compensation practices,
organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity,
performance management, and relevant employment laws
- The successful candidate will be proactive, creative and a
problem solver. S/he will be conscientious with an excellent sense of
- S/he will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will be capable of multitasking.
- S/he will demonstrate strong understanding of cultural and
social environment in the region and have the willingness and ability to
work effectively with a wide verity of people.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and
outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY
to a field posting.
- Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional
manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies,
procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter
and CV in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline 10th October, 2016.