Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children
in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United
States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats
children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives
by improving their health,
education and economic opportunities. In
times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help
children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural
disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children
in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse
staff in their work to improve the well-being of children
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: M&E Adviser
Location: Zamfara, ZA, Nigeria
- The post will involve coordination with project management and
state teams in line with DFID reporting requirements for the WINNN
programme with SC guidelines and best practices.
- Ensure quality implementation of the M&E plan for DFID
funded Improving Nutrition in Northern Nigeria Programme, including
monitor progress against activity and critical milestones as well as
providing support and guidance to STAs, LTAs and Government counterparts
in all implementing states.
- To assume a lead technical role in developing, implementing, and
maintaining effective and appropriate Monitoring and Evaluation systems
for all Nutrition activities.
Objective 1: Build capacities of MOH staff on M&E:
- Support identification of requirements for building the capacity
of staff at the state and local government level to assess policy and
- Support and coach SNO and LGA PHC teams to supervise activities,
ensuring quality and trustfulness of data at the facility and community
- Support SNO and LGA PHC department on data compilation, analysis
and reporting, ensuring programme data informs strategy and
- In collaboration with SNO and LGA PHC team provide on the job
training and coaching for staff in the facilities, assessment of
capacity (technical and infrastructure) of SPHCDA and the 3 WINNN LGAs
M&E, Development of capacity building plan and implementation of
such plans for state and LGA M&E and Training of all State and LGAs
- Provide training on M&E for MOH programme managers (SNO and
LGA PHC team: LGA Nutrition Focal Point, M&E Officer, Health
Educator, PHC coordinator, etc)
- Support SNO and LGA PHC team to provide training on M&E to programme implementers (communities, facilities staff)
Objective 2: Provide M&E technical support to Zamfara Area Office Nutrition MEAL Team, STAs, IYCF-A s and LTAs
- Identify training needs and train staff according to programme plan or ad-hoc
- Provide day-to-day technical support and advice to STAs and LTAs
to ensure adherence to common frameworks and validity and accuracy of
Objective 3: Support data monitoring, analysis and reporting at the Area and State level
- Participate in the preparation of programme monitoring and evaluation tools
- In collaboration with MOH and relevant SC staff ensure timely data compilation and reporting according to programme M&E plan
- Support programme feedback meetings to communities, facilities and authorities
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement
- Improvement on quality of MNCHW Data in Zamfara state.
- Carry out regular data quality assessments according to M&E plan
- Ensure M&E tools are always available at the implementation level
Objective 4: Ensure timely reporting, adherence to programme strategy
and coordination within programme and with authorities at the
- Provide quality reports to the State TA according to the defined M&E plan
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of constraints/successes with State TA
- In collaboration with the State counterpart, prepare monthly
summaries for submission to authorities with validation of State TA.
- Participate and collaborate for effective coordination within the programme (i.e. with state and other targeted LGAs).
- Participate in meetings, training and other assessment/events as required by the State TA
- Ensure that office policies and procedures are adhered to by reporting to the base Manager on operational issues
- Contribute to strategy formulation for progress of the programme
in consultation with the State/LGA teams and other stakeholders linked
Objective 5: provide technical assistance/advice to other SCI programmes as directed by the Area Operations manager
- In collaboration with other technical staff, provide support and
advise to other projects or activities of the country programme such as
Advocacy, Protection, Health, OVC and to the Every last Child campaign
Data Quality Management:
- Support data quality assessment for the programme
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Ensure that the project’s M&E system is well linked and/or
integrated with overall M&E systems for the SC Nigeria Country
- Develop programme learning drives for programme reports and documentations
- Keeps record of information obtained during research (database of information, hard files, etc.)
- Sharing of information obtained with communities, children, and Government stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism.
Research Support and Coordination:
- Conduct literature research and support process and impact evaluations as required
- Analyse information about the programme and make recommendations for improvement.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- designing more effective admin systems
- willing to take disciplined risks
- honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
- Advanced training in quantitative methodologies, including database management.
- 5 years of direct experience of monitoring and evaluation
related to one or more of these fields: health, nutrition and/ or
- Strong analytical skills, and an understanding of a range of
methods for monitoring, evaluation and assessment to promote
- Demonstrated ability to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and evaluation.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal). The
ability to analyse complex data and summarise it for a range of
- Experience of working within budget constraints.
- Commitment to SC’s mission, values and approach (includes child protection, equal opportunities and health and safety).
- Commitment to support cross organisational initiatives.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
- Experience of cost benefit analysis, economic appraisal or other value for money methodologies.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Proven ability to coordinate effective resource allocation to ensure quality programmes.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability
to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable
workplans and evaluate progress.
- Professional qualification at postgraduate level or equivalent in economics or related discipline
- Experience working with Nutrition or Health programmes
- Experience of qualitative research techniques
- Experience in international development
- This post will be based in Zamfara with frequent travel to other implementing States.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th October, 2016.