5 Sep 2016
Save the Children Job for a Child Protection in Emergency Officer
education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Child Protection in Emergency Officer
Location: Borno, Nigeria
- The Child Protection Officer is responsible for ensuring that quality psychosocial support services are provided to internally displaced persons mostly children.
- They will have their capacities developed to provide these kinds of protection to children in a range of Save the Children’s emergency responses world-wide.
- The Child Protection Officer will be expected to support on sectoral assessment, project planning and coordination.
- In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or build capacity of implementing partners on the field.
- Support the CPiE Coordinator to conduct child protection assessments using SC assessment processes and tools and the Inter-agency Child Protection Assessment Resource Toolkit. Adapt the Assessment Tool as necessary. Coordinate with other SC thematic areas, the national/district Child Protection Working Group and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific, disaggregated analysis of children’s needs.
- With support from the lead Child Protection Coordinator and/or
other senior programme staff, develop monthly and quarterly plans and
costed plans, contributing towards an overall thematic programme plan.
From the strategy initiate programming in the following areas as
- Support to the psychosocial (physical, social, emotional) wellbeing of children and their families.
- Emergency family tracing interventions and alternative are options for unaccompanied and separated children, utilising tools within the Inter-Agency Child Protection Information Management System
- Prevention and response to sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and gender-based violence (GBV) in project communities
- Prevention and response to the main risks for children’s exposure to physical harm
- Prevention and response to all forms of exploitation including harmful child labour and child trafficking
- Support the integration of case management into CFS and PSS
- Support the integration of child protection in to other SC emergencies core sectors on the field
- With support from the Child Protection Coordinator, supervise project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against individual performance management work plans).
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Settings and the Sphere standard
- Ensure appropriate child friendly spaces time schedules are tailored to the physical and mental needs of the children based on age group and gender
- Coordinate monthly meetings including, parents forum and child protection committee
- Provide essential psychosocial first aid support to children and adults when needed.
- Ensure partner staff are supervised regularly to ensure activities are carried out in line with minimum standard guidelines.
- Consistently maintain referral pathway of project locations
- With support from the lead Child Protection Coordinator and/or other senior programme staff, prepare and review timely monthly reports submitted by partners
- With support from the lead Child Protection Coordinator, identify project supplies specific to the programme needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- Work with the M & E plan to ensure links to reporting requirements where possible, refer the M&E framework to build an evidence-base for child protection programming interventions.
- With support from the CRM/Accountability Officer put in place accountability activities for your project, ensuring that feedback from children and their families is considered in project design.
- Provide capacity to implementing partners that have less CPiE experience
- Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and support Interagency Coordination forums including the State Child Protection Sub Working Group, advocating for the specific needs of children. This may involve supporting the coordination of working groups and sub-working groups.
- In collaboration with the Humanitarian Technical Unit and Child Protection team, feed in learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required.
- With support from the Lead Child Protection Coordinator and/or other senior programme staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers in-country.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
- University degree or equivalent in Social work, Social Science, development studies or equivalent combination of relevant training and experience
- Proven ability to supervise a CP project with holistic approach and integrated to child protection right
- Speaking fluent English, and other languages of Northern Nigeria is an advantage
- Computer literate
- Between three and four years of work experience in Protection work, supervision, community mobilisation and distributions and solid understanding of the actual Nigeria Emergency context.
- High level of personal integrity, commitment and professional responsibility
- Mature personality with life experience is an advantage
- Able to be a self-started and work in challenging contexts and fragile environment.
- Excellent communication skills,
- Team player with strong leadership skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 12th September, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.