Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating
lasting change in the lives of children in over 20 countries around the
world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and
collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where
children and families help themselves.
We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety
of local partners while maintaining our own independence without
political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s mission
is to Inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to
achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Household Economic Strengthening (HES) Coordinator – STEER Project
Location: Calabar, Cross River
- This position will be responsible for providing technical
support and guidance in the implementation of the economic strengthening
component of the STEER OVC project.
- The job will primarily focus on; support CSOs on market
assessment which will include gender iterative economic opportunity
analyses, identification of pro-poor, high-growth value chains, building
financial literacy skills of households, incorporating basic market
principles, facilitate skills trainings, manage group savings programs,
household economic assessments, support to households to develop and
scale-up businesses on community-based savings and loan schemes,
(S&L) for caregivers and heads of households.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the work plan activities
in the State and provide input into the development, on-going
management and maintenance of work plan.
- Coordinate identification of viable HHES models, gather
information on what models of HHES are available in the target
communities, both formal and informal
- Ensure that HHES components and related services are integrated into project reviews and evaluation activities.
- Support State level planning of activities as agreed in the STEER work plan.
- Under the Supervision of HES Advisor, manage the preparation, coordination, and execution for special technical events.
- Participate in meetings, seminars, debriefings and other technical meetings as required.
- Compile States level reports on project results, case studies and lessons learned.
- Develop State level annual, quarterly and monthly work plans as agreed with the line manager.
- Facilitate, draft, and participate in the development of, and/or
the timely completion/review of STEER technical reports, such as:
monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports; strategic plans and work
plans; and other ad hoc reports, as required.
- Based on the above, contribute to the design of flexible and
adaptable economic strengthening models based on best practices and
relevance to the Nigeria context, which can be feasibly rolled out in
- Support to train and guide CSOs or partners as they roll out
HHES strategies in target communities, working with teams to plan and
implement the roll-out strategies.
- Provide support and mentoring to CSO staff and partners in
implementing the HHES services in the communities, through field visits,
refresher trainings, on the job training etc. Help CSOs ensure that
services are relevant and useful to the beneficiaries and well
integrated with other services provide by and through the STEER project.
- Help the project CSOs or partners ensure that economic
strengthening services provided by STEER project are in line and
complementary with, other economic strengthening services provided by
other agencies at the state and community levels.
- Coordinate periodic monitoring/reviews of the HHSE services,
identify successes, and using lessons learned to make contribution to
the overall HHES strategies of the project.
- Provide support on technical initiatives, including performing
literature searches, investigating key issues, and contributing to
technical activities as required.
- Maintain good relationship with Government and non-Government partners working on Nutrition in the States.
- Perform other duties and tasks as determined by the STEER COP, including assisting HES Advisor.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child
protection policies; comply strictly to security procedures and other
- Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies, trainings, and workshops.
- Support the work of consultants in the States as needs arise.
- Document technical team meetings, partner meetings, conferences,
and workshops, so that notes are around to team members not in
attendance and to STEER/HQ.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience in HES interventions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in team environment
- Fluency in English and Hausa for Kaduna position
- Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a
commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic
- Experience in Financial Exclusions and Management of Savings’ Groups
- Experience working with an international NGO a plus
- Interest in development issues
- A degree or equivalent work experience in the field of agriculture, economics, or development
- Strong computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in the MS office package
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple
tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage various projects in a team setting with limited supervision
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 26th September, 2016.