Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty
and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of
professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17
organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global
movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and
This is an opportunity to serve as an advisor to the Country Director
on safety and security related issues. The Security Coordinator carries
out a range of responsibilities related to the safety and security of
all staff, eligible dependents, eligible partners and contractors,
resources, assets, facilities, programmes, and projects and ensures
compliance with all Oxfam security policies, procedures and regulations.
Job Title: Security Coordinator
Salary: Competitive package
Contract Type: Fixed term 3 months with possibility of extension
Hours: Full time
Location: International/Nigeria/Maiduguri with frequent travel
Job ID: #1707381
The position is based on the need to build and sustain long-term
safety and security risk reduction capacity within the Oxfam’s
programmes in NE Nigeria.
- Reports, analyses and communicates current socio-political context
and the security situation and the wider context (country, region,
global trends as applicable)
- Design/update reliable safety and Security Management System/Standard Operating Plans/Contingency Plans
- Supports the program staff in planning and implementing risk
mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) in order to
improve safety and security
- Develops and maintains up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment
- Security management and support
Ensures that staff members have the security skills and awareness
that are required for effectiveness especially in areas of accident
prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by planning and
facilitate appropriate learning and development opportunities.
Assists and leads security and emergency related training in the field
Builds and maintains close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to
gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best
practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible
Collaborates with Field Office and Field Operations teams to determine and address security issues in the field as they arise
We are looking for…
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
- At least 5 years’ INGO/UN safety and risks management experience and
proven leadership experience of security assessment, planning and
implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian
- Familiarity with operational and security practices for high threat environments.
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or
military government authorities as well as with regional institutions
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work in a
systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a
diverse set of staff at different levels within the organisation
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Experience in humanitarian operations, preferably within the field
of information management as related to security management and
- Proven experience of delivering field based trainings.
- Proven practical experience of security management in a complex, conflict, humanitarian context.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Ability to advise and support field staff in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the
capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply
This is an urgent recruitment for a high priority humanitarian
response. For this reason, applications will be reviewed as they are
received, and priority will be given to those who are available to
travel to Niger immediately. Please indicate your availability in your
application. Interviews and offers may take place before the closing