DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we
have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling
fundamental social and economic development problems caused by
inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently,
delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our
development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh
combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines.
Our clients include international development agencies, international
lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and
DAI is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Team Manager (M4P Portfolio Manager)
Job Code: 2809
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
Project Title: Market Development in the Niger Delta (MADE)
Reports to: Team Leader
Date of Issue: August 2016
- Market Development in the Niger Delta (MADE) is a 4.5 year
design and implement programme that uses the Making Markets Work for the
Poor (M4P) approach to generate pro-poor and inclusive economic growth
in the non-oil sectors of the nine Niger Delta States.
- The programme’s stated objective is to raise the incomes of at
least 150,000 poor people, 50 per cent of whom will be women, by up to
50 per cent.
- The programme’s base is Port Harcourt, with project offices in Abuja and Warri.
Objectives of the Role
- The Technical Team Manager (TTM) position will be integral to
achieving MADE’s stated aims. She/he will provide technical leadership,
guidance and oversight to the Implementation Team in the design,
implementation, and management of M4P interventions in the Agricultural
Inputs, Cassava, Fisheries, Finished Leather Goods, Household Poultry
and Palm Oil Value Chains.
- S/he will work in close collaboration with the Team Leader and
Senior Management Team to develop, realise, and communicate the
programme’s strategic vision to internal and external stakeholders.
- The TTM will have line management responsibilities for the
Technical Team. They will be responsible for ensuring that Intervention
Managers and Officers are effectively and appropriately managed to
deliver programme results.
- The TTM will ensure effective coordination and collaboration
with the Cross-cutting Managers in the Advocacy and Communications,
Access to Finance, Gender, Grants, and Measurement and Results
Management functional areas as well as with the Operations and Finance
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Intervention Design and Implementation:
- Coordinate and oversee the management of implementation
activities in line with intervention strategies and results chains as
well as programme strategy and milestones, both technical and
- Identify and engage with key project partners (i.e. private
sector firms, co-facilitators etc.) to inform intervention design,
elicit participation, and assess intervention progress as required.
- Identify and leverage synergies between intervention areas and activities.
- In collaboration with the Team Leader and Cross-cutting managers
lead annual and quarterly work-planning (technical and financial) and
- Ensure the delivery of quality quarterly and annual reports
- Guide intervention conceptualisation, design, adaptation, and scale-up in response to changing market realities.
- Guide annual and quarterly budget development in line with
intervention strategies and results chains as well as overarching
programme strategy and budget.
Collaboration and Coordination with Cross-Cutting Functions:
- Proactively engage Cross-cutting area managers on intervention strategies and workplans
- Proactivity identify and communicate required areas of input and support in both intervention design and implementation.
- Proactively identify and leverage synergies between cross-cutting functions and value chains activities
- In collaboration with the Team Leader, inform programme’s
strategic vision and direction, identifying areas for new intervention,
scale-up or scale-down.
- Liaise with key programme stakeholders and participate in
multi-stakeholder platforms on programme’s strategic approach,
achievements, and lessons.
- Participate in Senior Management and Home-office Planning Meetings as required.
- Oversee technical team management, ensuring quality programme
delivery (technical and financial) through mentoring and providing
constructive feedback on areas of strength as well as required
- Engage with the Team Leader and DAI Head Office on personnel issues.
- Identify and proactively resolve conflict between technical team as well as cross-cutting function members.
Key Performance Indicators
- Undertake tasks provided in agreed deliverables as planned and
agreed with the Deputy Team Leader or Team leader to time and budget;
- Take responsibility when requested for periodic activities and ensure these are completed in a regular and effective manner
- Helpful and positive attitude
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Graduate degree in Economics, Business, or a related field
- 10 years’ experience working on agriculture and agri-business
development programmes delivering demonstrated results, preferably in
- Strong business management and financial management skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Previous experience with DFID funded projects would be advantageous
- Fluency English is required
- 5 years’ experience designing and managing systemic development
interventions (M4P and Value Chain) in developing countries, preferably
- Demonstrated experience leading complex teams
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th October, 2016