26 Sep 2016
UN Women Job in Nigeria for a Strategic Planning and Programme Design Consultant
empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
UN Women is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Strategic Planning and Programme Design Consultant
Location: Home-based (with possible mission(s) to Abuja, Nigeria), NIGERIA
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 08-Oct-2016
Duration of Initial Contract: 15 Working Days
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with funding from the Government of Japan, is implementing a one-year project titled” Mainstreaming Gender into Humanitarian Response in Nigeria” This project is a humanitarian action component of UN Women’s current Peace and Security programme in Nigeria. It is designed to address the needs of internally displaced women and girls especially survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in North East Nigeria including Adamawa, Bauchi and Gombe States. It focuses on filling critical gaps in mainstreaming gender effectively and comprehensively in the on-going humanitarian response activities in the following areas:
- Strengthen emergency assistance initiatives to internally displaced women and girls and survivors of SGBV in target areas.
- Improve the economic capacity and social rehabilitation of women and adolescent girls affected by the crisis for peaceful cohabitation in target areas.
- Strengthen humanitarian coordination mechanisms in Nigeria to ensure a more comprehensive gender-responsive approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The purpose of this assignment is to develop a new Gender and Humanitarian Action Programme addressing the humanitarian crisis in the North East of Nigeria.
- This role will coordinate strategic planning and drafting of the Concept Note/Programme Document, which builds on an existing programme funded by the Government of Japan.
- Conduct a desk review and analytical assessment to inform the development of the programme;
- Articulate overall design and approach for UN Women’s new Gender and Humanitarian Action Programme for North-East Nigeria;
- Develop a programme Theory of Change;
- Draft the Concept Note with results matrix.
- Develop a Programme Concept Note (in line with format in Annex 1) as a concrete starting point for a full-fledged proposal;
- Desk review of existing project/programme documents, reports, evaluations, etc. on the integration of gender and SGBV prevention, mitigation and response in the humanitarian response in the northeast;
- Identify critical gaps in the integration of gender and SGBV prevention, mitigation and response and coordination of same in the current humanitarian context and proffer solutions for addressing these gaps in the response;
- Final Concept Note, including Theory of Change, Results Matrix and Budget.
- Displays cultural, gender, age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Compliance with the UN Core Values.
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender and humanitarian response;
- Strong analytical skills, particularly applied to gender analysis in humanitarian action.
- Ability to identify needs and interventions for capacity enhancement of counterparts and potential partners;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to take responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines;
- Openness to adapt and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Advanced university degree (Masters or higher level) in a discipline such as: Gender, International Development, Economics, Political Science, or other relevant studies, etc.
- At least 10-15 years analytical, strategic and technical advisory experience on mainstreaming gender into humanitarian response policy and/or programmes at international level;
- Prior work experience working in North East Nigeria required;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Familiarity with UN Women Humanitarian Strategy, principles, methodologies and approaches – including experience with project management and project document design necessary;
- Experience in providing technical advisory support on gender and humanitarian action in the UN System;
- Fluency in English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th October, 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.